_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Need help with Stuka 87 b
McKeever
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 246 posts
AeroScale: 22 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2013 - 10:22 AM UTC
I am doing Hasegawa's Stuka 87 b in 1 / 48 scale, usin the aires cockpit and eduard sets.
I am having some problems in ascertaining the correct color configurations of the cockpit. Most urgently, I am uncertain which chair is correct (kit one, which has a cushion, or the one aires provided, which does not). I painted the back rest and seat of the aires chair leather brown, but that may be a mistae in that, on closer inspection, it does not appear to be a cushion at all.
Any help?
rochaped
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 679 posts
AeroScale: 669 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2013 - 10:53 AM UTC
I would go for the uncushing seat type. From several images it seems only the head rest had a cushion. As for interior colour, being a B model 02 grau seems to me as the most plausible.

Cheers
McKeever
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2013 - 11:04 AM UTC
So the chair should be rlm 02 then?
Snorri23
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 514 posts
AeroScale: 244 posts
Posted: Monday, June 03, 2013 - 02:09 AM UTC
The instrument panel would be RLM 66 the rest 02. As for the seat. The Germans sat on their parachutes unlike the British who had them strapped to their backs. Thus the seats would be 02.
McKeever
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, June 03, 2013 - 04:59 AM UTC
Thanks a lot.
stonar
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 337 posts
AeroScale: 309 posts
Posted: Monday, June 03, 2013 - 05:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The Germans sat on their parachutes unlike the British who had them strapped to their backs. Thus the seats would be 02.

That's a bit of a generalisation as it depended very much on the aircraft. For example Spitfire, Hurricane and Bf 109 pilots sat on their parachutes whereas an Fw 190 pilot would strap his to his back.
Most RAF heavy bomber crews would attach a chest pack in an emergency, though later Lancaster pilots sat on theirs.
There really is no simple answer I'm afraid.
Cheers
Steve
McKeever
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, June 03, 2013 - 05:42 AM UTC
I dont care so much about whether parachutes were worn or not but rather which seat of the two is accurate and what is the proper color.
stonar
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 337 posts
AeroScale: 309 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 04, 2013 - 02:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I dont care so much about whether parachutes were worn or not but rather which seat of the two is accurate and what is the proper color.

Simply a matter of historical accuracy. I've always assumed forums like this were for the exchange of information as well as the correction of disinformation (though I'm sure that was not anyone's intention).

The seat pictured in the handbook for the Ju 87 B (page 108 of Eddie Creek's Ju 87 book) does have a cushion visible.
So does the seat of a D-5 for which I happen to own a handbook.
Hendon's Ju 87 G also has what looks like an original seat cushion in place, but I can't vouch for it.
There is a pattern forming here!
This is despite the parachute type usually worn, though there was another type which rested on the lower back (can't remember the numbers etc I'm afraid but I think that might be a slightly later type).

I'd go with an RLM 02 interior without evidence to the contrary. Unfortunately we know for a fact that Junkers were using RLM 66 in the interiors of Ju 88s in early 1940 so never say never.

Cheers

Steve
 _GOTOTOP