_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Detail sets - same plane, diff. kit maker
gregcctrn
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 329 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2013 - 10:40 AM UTC
I have had a 20 year hiatus from modelling, and have jumped back in with both feet, so if my question is not a good one, I apologize ahead.

I have a 1:48 Dragon Ju 88P-1....I really enjoy having engines exposed and displayed in a maintenance type scene. I can't find a formal engine detail set for the aircraft - Aires makes a Jumo 211 (4006) engine, but it is just the engine...I found an engine set made by Aires, but it is designed for the Revell Ju 88A-4. Could that set be made work? As far as I can tell both the A-4 and P-1 were powered by the 211...

Also, I have the 1:48 Eduard Weekend edition of the Bf 110f, Aires has a detail set for the Revell Bf 110G-6, that includes a couple of nice engines. From what I have read, there isn't a big difference in the two planes.

One last thing, I am hunting down a 1:48 Dragon Ju 188 (5517 & 5518) if there are any lurking about, I would buy/trade for one.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2013 - 10:59 AM UTC
It may or may not be possible. Aftermarket parts, especially detail kits, are sized to fit the kit they're made for. If there's a size difference between the kit you have and the kit it's made for then you're going to have an extra job making it fit as you install it.

Now having said that, I believe that the Revell and Dragon Ju-88 kits share the same plastic so it's likely that a set designed for one will fit the other. This will not be the case with the Eduard and Revell Bf 110s so you'll need to be prepared to do some surgery to the nacelles, firewalls and engine mounts if you decide to go ahead.

Try the Kitmaker Buy, Sell or Trade forum to see whether any of our members have a -188 available.
gregcctrn
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 329 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2013 - 01:10 PM UTC
Thanks so much for that, I was not aware of the fact that Revell and Dragon share the same plastic......

Greg
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2013 - 01:30 PM UTC
They don't always, but in this case they did. You can also find Hasegawa plastic in some Revell Germany kits.
 _GOTOTOP