_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Who am I? #9
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Friday, June 07, 2013 - 07:01 AM UTC
This fresh faced young man was a true hero!

lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,032 posts
AeroScale: 1,025 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 08, 2013 - 02:13 PM UTC
Canadian Camel Ace Sir William Stevenson, "A Man Called Intrepid". I have a copy of Heroes of the Sunlit Sky by Arch Whitehouse which he inscribed and autographed to a friend in Bermuda in 1968. His exploits in the air were more then matched by his Counter Intelligence work in WWII, for which he was Knighted.
Cheers,
Lance
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 08, 2013 - 05:05 PM UTC
Excellent Lance! I have William Samuel Stephenson. But let us tell a bit more detail shall we. This is the man that the James Bond character was based on. Escaped from a prisoner of war camp in WWI. Second highest Dr.I triplane ace. Gave Downing st & the intel community its first look into what Hitler was doing behind the scenes and that is just the tip of this man's secret service duties to his King & Country.

As a Sergeant in the Canadian Engineers, William Samuel Stephenson was badly wounded during a gas attack in 1916. On 16 August 1917, he transferred to the Royal Flying Corps and was posted to 73 Squadron on 9 February 1918. Flying the Sopwith Camel, he scored 12 victories before he was wounded in action, believed to have been shot down by Justus Grassmann, and captured by the Germans on 28 July 1918.

In 1940 Stephenson was Winston Churchill's choice to head British Intelligence in the Western Hemisphere. For his counter-intelligence work during World War II, Stephenson was knighted and received the Presidential Medal for Merit from the United States. His biography, A Man Called Intrepid, was published in 1976.

Here.

A bit more.
ianclasper
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 227 posts
AeroScale: 76 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 08, 2013 - 06:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Second highest Dr.I triplane ace.

...mmmm Don't think so, the Dr.I triplane was German and the Sopwith Triplane was operated by the RNAS and not the RFC.

Perhaps you meant he was shot down by the Second Highest Dr.I ace, Justus Grassmann
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 08, 2013 - 06:25 PM UTC
No, he was second on the list for shooting down the most Dr.I aircraft. First highest on the list was William Lancelot Jordan (our who am I #8). And Grassmann was not even close to be on the list of Dr.I aces.
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,032 posts
AeroScale: 1,025 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 08, 2013 - 11:57 PM UTC
My "bad" for mis-spelling the name, late at night, between work shifts etc.etc! Truly a great man indeed; he not only escaped the POW Camp, he made it back home with a wealth of intelligence info on troop movements, rail resources, and supply locations etc. "A Man Called Intrepid" is an excellent read.
Cheers,
Lance
 _GOTOTOP