_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Scale Aircraft Conversions?
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
AeroScale: 2,904 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 12, 2013 - 05:44 AM UTC
I just have a general question that's been bothering me. What's the deal with Scale Aircraft Conversions? I just saw a short review of their new Spitfire IX landing gear on another site which includes a nice close up photograph of the product. As usual with what I've seen from them, they appear to be a direct copy of the Eduard plastic parts but with fairly rough metal casting surface.

I guess my question is: What's the point? I can see if you've got a heavy kit like the Trumpeter 1/32 F-105 and want metal gear to help hold it up, but otherwise I don't see why anyone would want their product. It looks like the parts would require more cleanup to deal with the casting issues and metal parts can be harder to use than plastic. Plus, if they offer no refinement over the kit parts, why shell out the extra bucks? (Doesn't seem like much of a "conversion".) And frankly, it seems questionable to me that they're just making direct copies of a kit's parts and selling them under their own label.

Nevertheless, they keep turning these things out. Do they actually sell any? Has anyone ever used them and, if so, why?

I don't know why this bugs me so much, but I thought this was the best place to ask. Thanks for putting up with my rant!

Michael
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 12, 2013 - 05:51 AM UTC
they pretty much seem to be direct copies in every case i have seen - the only real advantage i can see is that for larger models, you might want metal gear for better durability.

the other case, which is the one i used it for, is replacement of broken kit parts - cat destroyed the landing gear on my already-built IL-2, but otherwise the model was recoverable. The scale aircraft conversion parts were an ideal drop-in replacement.

the direct copies do seem a questionable practice, but perhaps the different media keeps them from getting into legal trouble since they aren't actually hindering the sales of the original kit (which is the point of those types of laws - to help assure revenue goes to the originator).

I guess the parts serve a couple legit purposes, keeping them from be a parasitic product and pushing them into the beneficial realm.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 12, 2013 - 05:54 AM UTC
I'm guessing that there are those people who will go for any and all aftermarket offered for a kit regardless whether it's "needed" or not.
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
AeroScale: 1,351 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 12, 2013 - 06:19 AM UTC
As one who has brought some of the 1/48 landing gear sets, for me there are two reasons. First is the weight of the kit with very thin kit parts that bend just looking at them so in this case they add strength, second is they are robust most of my kits visit several shows during the year so can get knocked around a bit, having strong landing gear helps.

With regard to them being direct copies that's not 100% correct, some correct problems with kit parts think Trumpeter Seafang / Spiteful, and a recent magazine showed a kit part with a linkage missing the SAC replacement corrects this.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 12, 2013 - 08:35 PM UTC
I bought 2 sets for 1/32 scale Spits, mainly to replace the struts in the Revell Spitfire Mk I kit, but also for the Hobby Boss Mk V. One of the axles was short shot and I contacted them and sent a photo, they sent a replacement set without any quibble, so very good customer service. I will definately use the ones on the Revell Mk I as they are very much better, but the jury is out on whether or not I use the set for the Mk V. another advantage of metal gear legs is that you can polish the oleo strut (use the edge of a needle it will come up highly polished ) My sets were cast very well, certainly not rough castings, I was happy with the purchase. I suppose it depends what you want them for?

I did notice that on another site a particular member slagged them off really badly! I got the impression that he was somehow connected to the brand that he was praising so much. That actually put me off buying the other brand, which was very much more expensive
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
AeroScale: 2,904 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 13, 2013 - 02:02 AM UTC
Well, I guess I stand corrected. That's why I asked! Thanks for the comments all!

Michael
 _GOTOTOP