Modern aircraft of the United States.
1/48 Mr Mac's Eagle
Peterpools
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 197 posts
AeroScale: 193 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 13, 2013 - 11:18 AM UTC
New to the forum and looking forward to my first campaign and first 48th scale kit after a steady diet of 32nd scale WWII Fighters. Love Eagles and the Hasegawa's Eagle, is ine gorgeous looking kit. Looking forward to enhancing the basic kit with a new Aires Front Office, a Legend Aces II ejection Seat, Aires Turkey feather Exhaust (it took a while to hunt a set down and they are still in transit) and maybe Eduard FOD covers. Hopefully shoujod be digging in this weekend and enjoying the build as I go. As for weathering, the name of the game is: Used but not Abused.
The customary starting photos follows and comments and suggestions are always much appreciated.
Enjoy

]
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Friday, June 14, 2013 - 05:38 AM UTC
Pete, I've subscribed to your build thread, as I'm looking forward to following your build.
Joel
Peterpools
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, June 14, 2013 - 10:23 AM UTC
JA
Knew you would be following it and hopefully will be starting the front office Sunday, as I'm working on Saturday.
Slim
Peterpools
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 22, 2013 - 07:05 AM UTC
THE FRONT OFFICE: 6/22/13
Nearly two full weekends have gone into building and painting the Aires Front office for the Eagle. A ton of sanding and filing was needed to get the parts to fit and were always done outside, as the resin dust is dangerous to say the least. While the Aires Aces II seat is gorgeous and incredibly detailed, I just couldn't handle all the PE harnesses, as the carpet monster had a field day. What I did manage to secure, just looked too flat and lifeless. I knew from the start I would most likely be going with the Legend Aces II seats and with a bit a tweaking and fitting, she slid into place wonderfully. when done, the Legend seat looks awesome when painted and lightly weathered.
The Aires PE IP went in with no problems after the Front Office was both air brushed and hand painted with Tamiya paints.
The electronics bay presented a huge problem as everyone seems to go with the blue/green metallic color. With a lot of research, I found out that the Eagles built after 1979/1980, had the electronic bay painted white and most Eagles when in for major overhauls, had the color re-painted gloss white. Just to be on the safe side, Ive ordered new decals for 21st century Eagles.
Always looking for a Used but not Abused look, I lightly weathered the Front office and went just a bit heavier in the electronics bay, with an oil pin wash and then some dry brushing with Apple Barrel Dove Gray.
The Aires Front Office is just being test fitted in the nose section, which required a lot of sanding and filing but it does fit. Still a bit more tweaking and it will be time to glue up the assembly.
Thanks for looking
Enjoy

Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 22, 2013 - 08:57 AM UTC
Pete, The Resin cockpit looks tremendous. Your weathering has as you put it, that used but not abused look. What really stands out to this non-jet jockey guy (WW11 is my preferred era), is the electronics bay. Since I'm not familiar with the resin casting, I have no idea if you added to the detail or not, but it looks simply outstanding.
Looking forward to your next update.
Joel
Peterpools
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 22, 2013 - 09:02 AM UTC
JA
No detail added to the front office or the electronics bay other then what comes with the Aire's kit. Only changes so far have been the addition of the Legend Ace' II ejection seat. PE IP is all Aires as well.
Bro
stugiiif
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,434 posts
AeroScale: 403 posts
Posted: Monday, June 24, 2013 - 02:01 AM UTC
Peter looks great. I see you sorted out the avionics bay color. Sorry I was late finding something to support something other than white. the Yellow Chromate wound be more for the engine areas any way. Great build keep going.
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 2,798 posts
AeroScale: 2,443 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 25, 2013 - 08:47 AM UTC
Peter your build looks great. I love the Aires cockpits. I use them as often as I can. Looks great so far I will follow along to see this thing take shape. By the way I went ahead changed your post to a build log for you. Any other questions you have feel free to ask. And welcome
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 25, 2013 - 09:11 AM UTC
Great looking cockpit, i hope that something remains visible when the kit is put together
Peterpools
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 25, 2013 - 10:17 AM UTC
Thanks guys for the kind words and comments on Mr Mac's Eagle, as they are very much appreciated.

Justin
Thank you for making the change to the build description.
Peterpools
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 30, 2013 - 04:16 AM UTC
Just a quick update as to the weeks progress. All the major sub assemblies are done and in the process removing the seams. RE-scribing the panel lines are up next, then hopefully gluing together all the assemblies and removing the Tamiya tape. Part fit is OK but a lot of test fitting and fussing was needed, as the kit's age is still showing through.
Thanks for looking in

Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, July 01, 2013 - 02:11 AM UTC
Pete,
Mr. Mac is coming along nicely. Parts fit looks pretty good in the pictures, but it's not like viewing up close and personal. Taking into account the kits age, I'd say the fit it pretty decent. Looking forward to seeing the Eagle ready for paint.
Joel
Peterpools
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, July 01, 2013 - 10:51 AM UTC
Thanks JA
Spent quite a bit of time tinkering and test fitting and things are starting to line up. At this point, I'll be carefully tap dancing around where the wings meet mate up to the fuselage.
 _GOTOTOP