Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Stukageschwader 2 Immelmann early war stukas
McKeever
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 246 posts
AeroScale: 22 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 22, 2013 - 04:42 PM UTC
So I am closing in on my Stuka project. I will depict an 87 b1 attached to Stukagechwader 2 "Immelmann" circa Fall Weiss.
My question pertains to the veracity of the Eagle Strikes decal sheet featuring T6+CA, depicting a red shield and blue nose. See here:

http://www.greatmodels.com/~smartcart/cgi/display.cgi?item_num=EAG48021

This conflicts with a colorplate I located depicting a white shield with dark grey nose. See here:

http://img.wp.scn.ru/camms/ar/29/pics/2_74.jpg

Is there any photographic evidence of these Stukas. I have several texts on this plane, but could not find any.
Oh I'd like to paint the tip of the nose grey for aesthetic reasons. The blue nose may be conjecture from black and white photos. ...
stooge
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 210 posts
AeroScale: 210 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 23, 2013 - 01:24 PM UTC
In the pic on the 1st link it is very hard to make out the detail.

Can you clarify if your question relates to the nose colour or the shield colour?
McKeever
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 23, 2013 - 02:28 PM UTC
Sorry that is the best pic I could find of the decal colorlate.
I am actually asking about both, because tere is a discrepany in both the shield color and the nose between the two color plates.
stooge
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, June 23, 2013 - 03:00 PM UTC
I'll have a look in some refs tonight, but I seem to remember reading the different shield colours in some units coded to differing staffels.
McKeever
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 23, 2013 - 03:15 PM UTC
Thanks I looked inthe handful of books I have including the volume Luftwaffe Colors set, Hitlers Stukas, and one other.
stooge
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, June 23, 2013 - 10:59 PM UTC
Refer Barry Ketley's Luftwaffe Emblems 1939-1945 2012 Ed page 121. White cross on red shield as Stab (or Staff Flight) of St.G 2. He also notes a black cross on white shield for St.G 2 but oddly does not abscribe it to a Staffel, probably due to lack of data. This shield does not pop up in this form for any other unit. So I suggest colour variations are different Staffels, red for the Stab as noted.

As for nose colours you are out of my area with St.Gs.
stooge
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, June 24, 2013 - 12:11 AM UTC
The code T6 is correct for St.G 2 as is the last letter in the code being A for the Stab, refer page 162 of Luftwaffe Camoflage & Markings Vol 2 1976. Which suggests the red shield is correct. As for the blue individual code, given white, red & yellow were for Staffells 1to 3 respectively blue is reasonable for the Stab? Can't say I've found any pics.

Rudel flew with St. G 2, so searching along those lines may throw up some pics.
McKeever
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, June 24, 2013 - 02:45 AM UTC
Thanks a lot. I really appreciate it. I am going to paint the nose dark grey, which has the amme hue as blue in black and white photos and looks better than blue with that color scheme.
stooge
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, June 29, 2013 - 09:59 PM UTC
I was looking for another detail (a colour pic of RLM 05, do not spose you have one???) and noticed a picture of a 2 St G stuka and was reminded of your query and realised I had not clarified what you meant by the "nose" of the aircraft. To me the nose is pretty much all in front of the leading edge of the wing. The spinner is the spinner and not the nose. Soooo...in all the pics I did look at while pondering your query the nose was consistent with the colours for the balance of the aircraft. The spinners on the other hand were very much a colour on the tip, typically white, red, or yellow. The section of the spinner about the propeller is very often black or the colour of the upper fuselage.

The photo that prompted more thought about your query is on page 13 of "Luftwaffe Painting Guide" by Smith, Pentland & Lutz, 1979 edition. In this instance the 2 St G aircraft does not have the shield badge and is further 3 viewed in colour on page 58 of "Luftwaffe Camouflage & Markings Vol 2, 1976 edition and consistent with the photo including the date palm desert emblem. As an aside it has a white tip to the spinner which matches the white fuselage band. The rest of the scheme is 70/71/65 which does seem odd for the desert theatre.

So apart from what do you consider to be the nose I should have also asked what theatre of war was your model to serve in as this effects the choices of markings. The latter question being more important.
McKeever
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 30, 2013 - 03:44 AM UTC
I am referring to the Immelmannn stuka as depicted in the decal sheet in the greatmodelslink. I knw it is not the best pic. It is from Fall Weiss--not North Africa.
 _GOTOTOP