Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Horten Ho IVa Colours
stooge
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 210 posts
AeroScale: 210 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 23, 2013 - 02:58 PM UTC
I am looking at a Horten IVa build and trying to decide on the colour scheme. I've found the layouts for the various schemes and some colour pics for the "unpainted" scheme.

But I'm becoming more interested in the RLM 05 scheme but am struggling for an colour pics of this scheme or a rock solid confirmation for the scheme. Can anyone help with this?

Also with the RLM 05 scheme the notes say "overall" and indicate the undersides were done in RLM 05 as well. This strikes me as unusual and am looking for a confirmation of this.

It is kind of odd that the Ho IVa had this scheme given previous aircraft used various of the greems RLM 02, 62 or 83 for the topsides and RLM 76 or 77 for the undersides.
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 23, 2013 - 03:15 PM UTC
I probably am not much help with this model of Horten Carl. I did want to recommend the Revell of Germany kit of the Horten/Gotha 229 jet flying wing fighter. It is a fun kit and I will include some photos of mine which I finished a couple of years ago. I think you would have fun with it. All the best to you, Russell

P.S. Please excuse the dust on the model!!

P.S.S. The kit is 1/72 scale by the way
stooge
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 210 posts
AeroScale: 210 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 23, 2013 - 03:58 PM UTC
Nice Horton IX, it on the list, I just need to find a 1:48 version. 1:72 is too small & fiddly for my eyes. The IX was/is one of the prettiest aircraft ever built.
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 23, 2013 - 04:27 PM UTC
Hi Carl,

Peter Allen [Flitzer] has created over a dozen Luft 46 Colour Camouflage Applications. You can find them here: http://aeroscale.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=allbyauthor&author_name=flitzer

This one is about the colors: Luft 46 Colour Camouflage Applications, Part 2: Fighters and Heavy Fighters

I don't know which one has the Ho 229, you'll have to browse through. Regardless, you'll have great fun looking at his incredible creations!

Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 23, 2013 - 04:27 PM UTC
DML/Dragon made or makes a nice 1/48 scale Gotha 229 Carl. Just thought you might like to know. Russell
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 23, 2013 - 04:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I am looking at a Horten IVa build and trying to decide on the colour scheme. I've found the layouts for the various schemes and some colour pics for the "unpainted" scheme.

But I'm becoming more interested in the RLM 05 scheme but am struggling for an colour pics of this scheme or a rock solid confirmation for the scheme. Can anyone help with this?

Also with the RLM 05 scheme the notes say "overall" and indicate the undersides were done in RLM 05 as well. This strikes me as unusual and am looking for a confirmation of this.

It is kind of odd that the Ho IVa had this scheme given previous aircraft used various of the greems RLM 02, 62 or 83 for the topsides and RLM 76 or 77 for the undersides.

The Horten IV was a civil design, and the overall RLM 05 was quite common for civil aircraft of the day. Gliders of the DFS were also often painted in overall 05.
goodn8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Berlin, Germany
KitMaker: 709 posts
AeroScale: 651 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 23, 2013 - 04:55 PM UTC
to get a more interesting camo it should be like this:

http://www.deutsches-museum.de/en/flugwerft/collections/sailplanes/horten-iv/

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Horten_Ho_IV.JPG

as they say the wings are in original colors.
T.
 _GOTOTOP