_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Tamiya 1/48 scale F4U1-A Corsair
Peterpools
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 197 posts
AeroScale: 193 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2013 - 11:12 AM UTC
JA
Stellar build. Fit and finish are right on the money and the weather surely shows the Big Bent Wing Bird as : Used but not Abused.
Aces on the build
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2013 - 07:04 PM UTC
Hi Joel,
A very nice build

I can't make up my mind whether I like the light coloured wash or not? it looks good but I'm just not sure that it looks right. It certainly gives it a salt weathered appearance but the faded paintwork does that and the light panel lines, for me, take it a little overboard

I do like a weathered look but I can't see if it extends to the decals? Markings are painted on and should weather as well? To give the illusion of markings that are painted on I would apply the wash after the decals, I can't tell if you did that because of the light wash?

I have been reluctant to comment because of the, rightly so, very positive comments from the only 2(?) members to comment during your build but I wanted to say something and I hope that you don't take my comments as negative, it is just my own feelings on the subject.

Very nicely done, it makes me want to get out my second Tamiya Corsair and build that. Thanks for sharing
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2013 - 01:01 AM UTC
Pete, thanks for the positive comments.

Mal, and thank for your comments as well. That is precisely the type of input I'm looking for, and for that matter anyone posting their work. My preconceived ideas aren't always right or the best way to do anything. Input like yours is food for thought, and helps one see things in a different light.

The decals were applied prior to the washes, but after the initial fading with an over spray of a lighter mix of blue/gray paint. The decals are weathered, but the light Flory wash really doesn't fade them enough. Next model I'll use the faded paint technique after the decals are applied as a primary method, which is how I the markings on the Birdcage were done.

The reason that I opted for the light panel lines, is simply that a dark pin wash doesn't show up at all, and I wanted to bring out the panel lines. I wish I could say that I thought of this on my own, but I didn't. I've seen this technique used several times before, and like you said, it's not very realistic, but it does it's job. Of course the there is always the option of not bothering with the highlighting the panel lines in dark to black areas, or trying just a slightly lighter shade.
Joel
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 13, 2013 - 04:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The reason...light panel lines...it's not very realistic, but it does it's job.

Hi Joel,

Those are fine F4Us. Yes, I concur that both have the right amount of weathering, 'used but not abused.'

Like I said in a different thread, I am not mainstream, in more ways than one. I am not a fan of pre-shading nor highlighting the inside of panels to the extent that it is in vogue. I will do it, just at about 10% of what most modelers seem to expect. With that in mind, for me the light panel lines detract from the model, kind of a reverse Trompe-l'œil. Obviously, this is personal taste and as I encourage all modelers - do what keeps you happy in the hobby. Don't become an embittered AMS curmudgeon like me!

All things considered, I would be proud to have your Corsair on my shelf!
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 13, 2013 - 05:59 AM UTC
Frederick, thanks so much for your comments. I must confess that I've never really given pre-shading much of a chance yet, so I can't say for sure if it would help me or hinder me as how I like to weather.

The light panel lines was an experiment in a different direction for lighting, and I'm going on record as saying that I'm not thrilled with the final results either. I think that pure flat black would have shown some. Once day I'll redo it. I gave it s a shot, so at least I learned another lesson.

I'm slowly working on a collection of Corsairs every other or so build. I hope over the next few years to have built every available 1/48 scale kit, and done some conversions as needed. The F4U Corsair is my favorite WW11 Naval/Marine aircraft, even though I'm a die hard Grumman addict. Grew up 15 min from the main plant in Bethpage back in the 1960s.

Joel
 _GOTOTOP