_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
Hu-16A Albatross 1:48 Build Review
scvrobeson
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 65 posts
AeroScale: 44 posts
Posted: Friday, June 28, 2013 - 06:25 PM UTC
Hi everyone. Since receiving and doing the review for the new Trumpeter 1:48 Albatross, I figured I would also do a build log to show how well this kit goes together. I've started fiddling with the main gear bays, and those are already going together great, with a lot of good pipe and detail work on them. I will get pictures up tomorrow, but I wanted to make sure I started this first.

I hope everyone will enjoy following along on this build, and I hope that it all goes well.

Matt
hbratz
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Norway
KitMaker: 15 posts
AeroScale: 14 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 29, 2013 - 03:51 AM UTC
Hi Matt!
I will follow closely with GREAT interest!!
- Harry B.
duckdawgs
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 143 posts
AeroScale: 55 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 29, 2013 - 06:51 AM UTC
Yes, I too will follow this build. I have one in the "current build" pile, it is partially started (sub-assemblies)I am in planning stages for an Albatross taxiing up a ramp. It will have all hatches open and will include a full/complete interior, bow compartment & head. The stock parts are great, but there is no overhead detail or sidewall (soundproofing) detail. Doing research to see what the Philippine air force plane had on it's version. Good luck and I hope you have trouble free build
scvrobeson
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Saturday, June 29, 2013 - 10:43 AM UTC
I started working on the landing gear bays today, and got them painted up. I don't like Trumpeter's build process that has you install the nose gear before building the gear bay, but it should at least be strong with the metal landing gear. Also, the nose oleo looks long to my eyes, don't know if it's accurate or not.

Here are the pictures.

Matt
scvrobeson
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Saturday, June 29, 2013 - 10:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Matt!
I will follow closely with GREAT interest!!
- Harry B.

Thanks Harry. I hope you enjoy the build. The kit looks like it will go together nicely.

Matt
scvrobeson
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Saturday, June 29, 2013 - 10:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yes, I too will follow this build. I have one in the "current build" pile, it is partially started (sub-assemblies)I am in planning stages for an Albatross taxiing up a ramp. It will have all hatches open and will include a full/complete interior, bow compartment & head. The stock parts are great, but there is no overhead detail or sidewall (soundproofing) detail. Doing research to see what the Philippine air force plane had on it's version. Good luck and I hope you have trouble free build

Thank you for following along. Yes, there is scope for a lot more detail, but since i'm not opening up the doors and things for my build, I'm trying to keep it OOB. The blank overhead console bothers me, but I don't know if I will fix it in the long term. I'm just going to fill in all of the ejector pins in the fuselage so when it's painted it looks better inside.

Your display idea sounds really good, I will have to look out for it
duckdawgs
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 143 posts
AeroScale: 55 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 30, 2013 - 03:26 PM UTC
Ok great, I'm signed up for the "rescue me" campaign, starts July 1st, I will post pics in the campaign thread
scvrobeson
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Sunday, June 30, 2013 - 04:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Ok great, I'm signed up for the "rescue me" campaign, starts July 1st, I will post pics in the campaign thread

Thanks Roland! i'll look for that
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 03, 2013 - 03:16 AM UTC
Matthew, will be following your build every step of the way, as I have great interest in everything that was built by Grummans. I've also waited forever for a decent Albatross. Just not sure I have the room to display one in 1/48 scale.
So far the dectail looks really impressive.
Joel
scvrobeson
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2013 - 12:13 PM UTC
I've been working on this one a bit lately, and got some more progress done. The big wing is put together, and the radios have now been added to the interior.

The wing is good, but needs some kind of bracing inside. I added some styrene bits along the seam in order to give it some kind of structure.

Also added the radios. I used some artistic license to paint them, but it should all look fine inside of the cockpit.

So far, the kit has been great to put together. Really not a lot of work.

Hope you all enjoy the progress

Matt
scvrobeson
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2013 - 12:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Matthew, will be following your build every step of the way, as I have great interest in everything that was built by Grummans. I've also waited forever for a decent Albatross. Just not sure I have the room to display one in 1/48 scale.
So far the dectail looks really impressive.
Joel

Thanks Joel. Yeah, it is a very large plane. I'm a bit surprised by it really. Not really sure where I'll put it, I might have to hang this one up.

The detail is really nice, it is an awesome kit.

Matt
raypalmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,151 posts
AeroScale: 985 posts
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2013 - 02:02 PM UTC
Those landing gear bays are looking bloody good I must say.

I sometimes toy with building a 1:48 SEAC B24. My plan is to stick it, gear down, upside down on the ceiling. Like a huge spider.
scvrobeson
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 20, 2013 - 12:09 PM UTC
I know it's been a long time since I last updated this build, but I put in a lot of progress lately without posting anything, that's my fault.

The interior went together very well, but sadly most of the detail is hidden once it's together. Hopefully these pictures illustrate what is inside.

One quick tip, make sure to anneal the stretchers before trying to install them. The photo-etch is very stiff and hard to bend to fit the frames. I had a lot of trouble with those.

Don't forget to paint this section of the roof, or else it will be visible through the doors and windows.
scvrobeson
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 20, 2013 - 12:14 PM UTC

This shows the instrument panel decal. I added this instead of hand-painting it because it won't be very visible behind the canopy. Still should look effective once everything is sealed up.

There was a gap here, but I filled it in with some superglue and sanded it smooth. Could have also been because I didn't sand down the bulkheads far enough, but I tried a few ways to fix it and couldn't get rid of the gap.

Enjoy

Matt
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 20, 2013 - 03:23 PM UTC
Matt, great progress. The interior is really looking good. Are you planning on any dark washes and dry brushing to bring out the details?
Joel
scvrobeson
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 20, 2013 - 05:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Matt, great progress. The interior is really looking good. Are you planning on any dark washes and dry brushing to bring out the details?
Joel

Thanks a lot Joel. I'm going to do some more weathering in the cockpit. You really can not see anything in the fuselage with the doors closed, so I didn't really focus on those parts. The cockpit though will remain visible, so I'll have to do some work to make it look the part.

Matt
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2013 - 12:55 AM UTC
Matt, sounds good. Looking forward to your next update. Hopefully it won't be as long as it was to the 1st one.
Joel
hbratz
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Norway
KitMaker: 15 posts
AeroScale: 14 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2013 - 05:33 AM UTC
Hi,
VERY interesting1
I am following this build very closely!
Amazing kit and BUILD!
- Harry B.
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2013 - 11:14 AM UTC
Matt,

Well done! I don't know why I like the Albatross but it is a favorite!
 _GOTOTOP