_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Who am I? #10
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 30, 2013 - 02:06 PM UTC
This should be relatively easy.

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 02, 2013 - 01:23 PM UTC
Ok, maybe this is too hard? Lets look at the uniform. French with the Escdrille insignia is over the medals above the left breast pocket.

From the viewers point. L-R

Médaille Militaire;
"Accomplished pursuit pilot, volunteers for all the perilous missions, showing undeniable and admirable audacity and ardor. Has had more than thirty combats, returning often with his plane riddled by bullets and shrapnel. On 22 December 1917, he downed his third enemy plane. Two citations."

Légion d'Honneur;
"A pursuit pilot of very great courage. Gained the admiration of his Escadrille by facing his very difficult daily aerial combats with exemplary audacity and ardor. Downed his seventh enemy plane in two months, and was particularly distinguished during the course of actual operations by reporting his thirteenth victory. Médaille Militaire for feats of war. Six citations."

& Croix de Guerre. Multiple awards (8?);
During World War I, the Croix de Guerre was awarded for bravery to military personnel mentioned in dispatches. Recipients of the Légion d'Honneur and Médaille Militaire were automatically entitled to the Croix de Guerre. For subsequent acts of bravery, the recipient was awarded a bronze palm leaf for Army citations, a gold star for Corps citations, a silver star for Division citations or a bronze star for Brigade and Regimental citations.
CaptnTommy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 424 posts
AeroScale: 389 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 03, 2013 - 01:29 AM UTC
Navarre, hero of Verdun, I think.
Captn Tommy

spelling optional I's an ingineer..
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,032 posts
AeroScale: 1,025 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 03, 2013 - 01:51 AM UTC
I knew it was a French Uniform and he looked vaguely familiar. Looks younger then his photo in "Over the Front" however it's definitely Sous Lieutenant Pierre Marinovitch, 21 Kills and 3 Probables. He was killed in a flying accident at Brussels in Oct. of 1919.
Should have thought to look in the Franks and Bailey book sooner.
Cheers,
Lance
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 03, 2013 - 02:17 AM UTC
Excellent Lance! Born to Serbian parents this adopted son of France was quite the patriot!
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,032 posts
AeroScale: 1,025 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 03, 2013 - 02:42 AM UTC
Excellent exercise this, Stephen! Really enjoy the series and it gets the motivation going very well. "Keep em coming"
Cheers,
Lance
 _GOTOTOP