_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
KotS III GB: Bleriot XI
vdejarnette
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 209 posts
AeroScale: 138 posts
Posted: Friday, July 05, 2013 - 02:27 AM UTC
I will be ready to start on my entry in the next week or two, so let's begin the build thread!

I am building a real sow's ear of a kit, mostly to practice rigging on something I don't reaally care about.. The choice is the Bleriot XI from Eastern Express in 1/72 scale. The mould is ex-FROG and I will be doing it as a Russian Army observation plane in the very early days of World War I.

You will notice if you look at the decal diagram (or the decals themselves) on the left of the photo, some poor soul printed one of the #34 stencils in a mirror image of how numbers typically are written. Obviously this was a sinister plot to force modellers to use the Russian Army markings that were also provided (shown on the box top), and it worked since I am too lazy and too cheap to cull together some aftermarket markings since the kit itself cost me $0.99 as an add on a few months ago from an eBay seller.

The fall back option if the EE decals are useless is to simply to Louis Bleriot's plane that crossed the english channel which doesn't require any decals.

vdejarnette
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 209 posts
AeroScale: 138 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 13, 2013 - 01:51 AM UTC
So the parts for the Bleriot have mostly sat in a pile in the corner of the hanger. Mostly all I have done is tame the flash monster, along with a semi-gloss black undercoat for some of the metal parts and the propellor. I had to replace some of the wood fuselage framing wiith some spare evergreen rod at the end of the tail as it had broken in the box.

I hope to make some real progress soon though.

modulla
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 72 posts
AeroScale: 71 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 14, 2013 - 02:33 AM UTC
Hello Van
It is good to see you have started. I made one of theses a while back - the wings are far too thick. Fortunately, if you sand the wings to half thickness, you also get rid of the "starving cow" look.
Enjoy yourself!

Clive
 _GOTOTOP