_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
Revell of Germany McDonnell F-101 Voodoo
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Friday, July 05, 2013 - 03:22 PM UTC
This kit has just recently been carried by Squdron. Does anyone know anything about it? It is a must have for me since I am doing some work on my Century series collection. It probably is a scaled down version of the 1/48 kit? Correct? Russell
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 06, 2013 - 01:02 AM UTC
no, the 1/48 scale kit was done way back in the day you couldn't just scale stuff up or down to cut new molds for a kit - so it is a completely different kit.

but that is lucky for you, as i think the 1/72 scale it is easier to build (the old 1/48 scale molds are surprisingly well detailed, but a complete bear to get together without some twist in the fuselage)
vonHengest
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
AeroScale: 372 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 07, 2013 - 05:33 PM UTC
The 1/72 Century series kits were newly tooled, and not scaled down as Vance said. Many have preferred them over the 1/48 simply for the recessed panel lines, and I'm sure that the engineering was better in this scale as well just as he mentioned. They certainly didn't suffer as much if they were removed quickly from the molds, which is what often caused the warping of the parts that wasn't uncommon in the larger scale.
 _GOTOTOP