_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
Never molded or just missing?
wychdoctor92394
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 219 posts
AeroScale: 136 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 09, 2013 - 06:27 AM UTC
Has anyone ever built the Revell RF-4B Marine Corp Phantom kit in 1/32 scale. I didn't see any of the cameras that are very prominent on the RF-4C and RF-4E Revell (1/32) kit, in the box or on the sprues.

Contact me back, and let me know if I am just crazy or Revell fouled it up?

[email protected]
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 10, 2013 - 12:50 AM UTC
are they not moulded direclty to the fuselage halfs?
wychdoctor92394
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, July 10, 2013 - 02:58 AM UTC
Not at all...
wychdoctor92394
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, July 10, 2013 - 10:20 AM UTC
What really irks me the most, is that they are quite visible on the boxtop, yet are not included in the kit. The seats are rudimentary (not even close to MB H7's); the Sparrows included with the kit (RF-4 never carried them) are way out of scale, and there's little detail outside of the engines that are removable. It's a good thing I didn't get the RF-4E as well (old Revell version) as it's merely a Germanized version of this old molding. The engines are marginally better than most I've seen, and look similar to the GE J79-10 powerplants, but it has the long afterburner petals and the decals for the plane indicate it's a early version and therefore would have the long petals.

Overall, the only thing that really good on the kit's hebhalf, is the decals. Colorful, but sparse.

this is how I feel after putting out over 40 bucks for the kit...
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 10, 2013 - 11:02 AM UTC
IIRC, this kit is the ancient mould dating from the late 1960s, and it never had cameras. You could perhaps graft on the nose from the RF-4C kit which Revell released in the late '90s, or more easily build representative cameras from round and square tubing. Paint everything black inside and nobody would notice as long as the lenses are visible.
wychdoctor92394
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, July 11, 2013 - 03:50 AM UTC
Thanks for the idea, Jessie. Nice to see a female modeler...

However, as I intend to display the plane with the camera areas open, it kind of precludes me just cobbling something together to represent what I am wanting. Every time I see an RF-4C on eBay, I always get outbid, and like a dummy, I though, well, if Revell has cameras in the others, it would go to figure that the RF-4B would be the beginning and have them too... As the military guy in Under Siege: Dark Territory said, "Assumption is the mother of all ....ups!" Boy, did I ever...

Nice to see someone from Canada as well.... Not many aircraft modelers there and the few that are, are mostly into 1/144 or 1/72...

Join my group on Facebook; here's the link: https://www.facebook.com/wychdoctor?ref=tn_tnmn#!/BigRussianJets132Scale
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 11, 2013 - 07:02 AM UTC
Well in that case you'd be letting yourself in for a whole bunch of scratchbuilding anyway, so doing the cameras wouldn't be that much extra work. The Detail and Scale book has some nice pictures of the cameras and camera bays. Here's a thread over at Large Scale Planes which has some nice drawings of the cameras and bays.
wychdoctor92394
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, July 11, 2013 - 10:15 AM UTC
Thanks for the link, Jessie C.
 _GOTOTOP