_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
Revell / Monogram SR-71 Blackbird
SkunkWorks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 19 posts
AeroScale: 14 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 08, 2013 - 01:57 AM UTC
Hello all,

Well this is my first kit since getting in the hobby and I wanted something to ease myself back into the swing of things and grabbed one of these beauties. I'm a big fan of the SR-71 and had never built one before so I've taken to this with full enthusiasm.

Not much to show so far apart from everything has been cleaned of flash and I've give the fuselage a spray , I'm pretty happy with this colour it gives a nice Iron Ball colour when in natural light. I'm however debating whether to keep her nice and clean or get down and dirty with her

wychdoctor92394
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 219 posts
AeroScale: 136 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 08, 2013 - 04:15 AM UTC
I think down and dirty, but remember, the Blackbird's wheels were rubber and aluminum composites, so they aren't pure black or even tire black. Check for photos of the wheels, especially the main gear...
SkunkWorks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, August 08, 2013 - 04:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think down and dirty, but remember, the Blackbird's wheels were rubber and aluminum composites, so they aren't pure black or even tire black. Check for photos of the wheels, especially the main gear...

Hey James ,

I remember reading about this and you have just reminded me to reference a photo, I haven't gone to work on anything with the brush just yet.
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 08, 2013 - 04:27 AM UTC
Good choice Jordan. I will be looking forward to watching your build. Good luck. Russell
SkunkWorks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, August 08, 2013 - 05:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Good choice Jordan. I will be looking forward to watching your build. Good luck. Russell

Thanks a lot Russell
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 08, 2013 - 08:02 AM UTC
Checkout this page from Seattle's Museum of Flight.
Blackbird The main wheels look like they've been spray painted silver...
SkunkWorks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, August 11, 2013 - 07:28 PM UTC
Thank you all for your information and feedback its much appreciated guys !

What would you all recommend for weathering this beauty ? I was thinking maybe some wet sanding of some sorts ?

md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, August 12, 2013 - 05:28 AM UTC
Jordan, FWIW, I did a flat black U-2 a few years ago. I tried to weather it using a white wash, Might have over done it... At a display, the organizer tried to 'help' me out by wiping the 'dust' off of it.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Monday, August 12, 2013 - 06:40 AM UTC
I got good results using white and grey chalk dust on my CL-282 U-2 "prototype". I outlined the panels I wanted to dust with masking tape, then rubbed in the chalk. The surface you're dusting has to be flat for the chalk to grab. Wiping off the dust with varying amounts of vigour gives a varying tone.
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, August 12, 2013 - 08:14 AM UTC
Well, that's a lot like what I was dreaming of getting.
SkunkWorks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, August 12, 2013 - 09:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jordan, FWIW, I did a flat black U-2 a few years ago. I tried to weather it using a white wash, Might have over done it... At a display, the organizer tried to 'help' me out by wiping the 'dust' off of it.

It's rather tricky isn't it trying to add some depth to an all black model , did you try it again at any time and get better results ?
SkunkWorks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, August 12, 2013 - 09:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I got good results using white and grey chalk dust on my CL-282 U-2 "prototype". I outlined the panels I wanted to dust with masking tape, then rubbed in the chalk. The surface you're dusting has to be flat for the chalk to grab. Wiping off the dust with varying amounts of vigour gives a varying tone.

First off that's a great looking U2 , great job !

I have been pondering the pastel and chalk idea especially on panel lines but if you own an SR-71 model it's absolutely covered in them and some really close together and I think If I tried bringing these out with some pastel I'd probably do more harm then good , however this is what I plan on doing on my F-117 as it's a bit more panel line friendly haha.

I have been thinking about giving it a rub with some abrasive pads , I don't plan on using the D-21 drone this kit comes with so I will try it out on that and get back to you all with photos and tell me what you think.
SkunkWorks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, August 12, 2013 - 11:04 AM UTC
This is the result I'm hoping to achieve

JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 13, 2013 - 04:50 AM UTC
I haven't read any preceding posts; I suggest painting her a dark gray and then misting gray-tinted clears upon it to achieve the worn effect. Then spot-treat with diluted or pure black per your satisfaction. PM me if you have questions.
SkunkWorks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, August 13, 2013 - 05:41 AM UTC
PM Sent
SkunkWorks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, August 14, 2013 - 03:14 AM UTC
I've decided to not use the decals this kit came with and have instead ordered a set of 'Ichi-ban'

#974 was delivered to OL-8 on the 13th March 1968 and was the first SR-71 to fly an operational sortie over Vietnam. 974 was one of the first 3 SR-71s deployed to Kadena AFB in 1968, and had flown the most Habu missions of the 3 at the end of their first rotation. She was given this paint scheme to show the people back at Beale just who the #1 Blackbird was ("Ichi Ban" meaning number one in the local language). The large number 1 with the habu snake wrapped around it would later be used on other airframes as well, but "Ichi Ban" was always associated with 974 only.

This aircraft was lost on the 21st April 1989 over the South China Sea and is the last loss of any Blackbird. Pilot Lt Col Dan House, flying at Mach 3+, said the left engine seized (engine compressor bearing froze causing disintegration) and shrapnel from the engine hit the right side hydraulic lines, causing a loss of flight controls. The pilot descended to 10,000 feet and 400 Kts before ejecting. House and RSO Blair Bozek ejected and came down safely in the ocean. They had been able to broadcast their position before abandoning the Blackbird. They came down 200 yards off the coast of Luzon Island in the Philippines. The crew were immediately rescued by native fisherman.

The crash scene was off the Northern tip of Luzon Island in the Philippines. The wreckage of #974 rested in 120 feet of water. An Emergency Ordinance Disposal (EOD) and Navy SEAL team was immediately dispatched to the crash scene from Subic Bay NAS in the Philippines. They were to disarm any explosive devices (if needed) and the SEAL's to provide security. Two US Naval vessels, the Frigate USS Ouellet and a Fleet Tug, USS Sioux sped to the scene to provide security. The Recovery vessel USS Beaufort (ATS 2), Commanded by LT CDR Kemp Skudin, was dispatched from Sasebo, Japan to lift the Blackbird from it's watery grave. The Beaufort was fully equipped with a 10 ton crane on the bow and a 16 ton crane on the stern. Divers had the latest equipment, the MK12 Dive system and decompression facilities onboard the ship. Additionally 6 Scuba divers were used. Of more immediate concern were secret components such as surveillance sensors now scattered on the floor of the Babuyan Channel, 250 miles north of Manila. The USS Beaufort, a 280-foot salvage ship arrived on the scene April 29, 1989. Recovery efforts were swift. Sonar operations on April 29 and 30 found the debris field.

SkunkWorks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2013 - 07:52 AM UTC
Righto progress is progress no matter how little I've given the dials a paint just a few little touch ups remain but I shall do these tomorrow as daylight has disappeared. To many red buttons perhaps ? Hmmm .....

P.S the canopy will be closed but I'm one of 'those' modellers

SkunkWorks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, August 23, 2013 - 07:31 AM UTC
Progress is at a temporary halt so far as I await the arrival of my artist chalks to begin the weathering process.
 _GOTOTOP