_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
KC-97G color schemes ??
scratchmod
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 796 posts
AeroScale: 5 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 20, 2013 - 07:38 AM UTC
Hi all

Am just getting back into building aircraft after a very long break, been over ten years.
I have started the Academy 1/72 KC-97G kit and was trying to find info on what colors these were painted in. I know the Air Force planes were nice and shiny, but were any painted in gray colors, and which shades of gray??? Like I said, just getting back into planes and built mainly WWII prior so this is new to me.
I read the IDF had 8 KC's so what color would those be.

Any help would be great. Sorry for all the questions. I have a blog started here:
http://modelerssocialclub.proboards.com/thread/5593/adademy-1-72-kc-97g?page=1&scrollTo=151051

And have also started adding planes to my website

cheers
Rob
raypalmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,151 posts
AeroScale: 985 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 20, 2013 - 10:46 AM UTC
IDF seem to have looked like this:

But I can't find pictures of an israeli g...

These ANG g's would be in air defense grey and white most likely.

But to my eye these Spanish examples are the coolest. They aren't g's but darn close.

raypalmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,151 posts
AeroScale: 985 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 20, 2013 - 10:55 AM UTC
Upon further inspection I believe all of those were bare metal... Not grey.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 20, 2013 - 12:56 PM UTC
Most KC-97s were natural metal with varying amounts of white, red and trim colours. Near the end of their careers, many had some or all of the natural metal covered in anti-corrosion grey (almost identical with ADC grey). This is especially true of Air National Guard aircraft.
scratchmod
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, August 20, 2013 - 05:38 PM UTC
Thanks for the info and profiles, very cool schemes.

I found this walk around on Prime Portal and it doesn't llok to be gray or natural metal !!
http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/isaac_gershman/kc-97/

I plan on weathering mine similar to this, but also a bit from other ref pics of heavily weathered KC97.

I still have time until the paint flies but am planning ahead. Right now I'm scratcbuilding the missing detail in the wheel wells and also behind a missing leading edge as seen in the walk around linked above.

cheers
Rob
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, August 20, 2013 - 08:21 PM UTC
Some of that is the anti-corrosion grey, and some is extremely heavily weathered bare aluminium, all of it under a coating of decades' worth of dust. What a great weathering challenge you've set yourself!
scratchmod
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2013 - 02:50 AM UTC
Thanks for the info Jessie. So what is ADC gray ? Sorry, all new to me. I use Lifecolor and Tamiya paints, would they have an equivalent to ADC !

As for the weathering, I don't think that is gonna be an issue since my armor models get the same treatment. It's all a matter of working and adding thin layers of effects, just on a much bigger surface than I am used too. That's the fun part.

I am trying to decide where to draw the line as far as the scratchbuilding and adding details to the wheel wells in the wings.

cheers
Rob
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2013 - 05:53 AM UTC
ADC grey is FS 16473. It's a slightly blueish grey colour which is available from Lifecolor as a direct equivalent, no mixing required. You're going to want to lighten it up considerably to portray the chalkiness that weathered paint is prone to so a direct match is really only a starting point.
scratchmod
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2013 - 09:53 AM UTC
Great, I have it noted down for later. Will look for that color at the show next month. AMPS show but maybe some one will have it.

I always work lighter and use filters to create effects so not an issue there.

Thank for the help Jessie

Rob
scratchmod
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2013 - 02:22 AM UTC
Some of the progress on the wheel bays.

http://modelerssocialclub.proboards.com/thread/5593/academy-97g-update-scratch-work
 _GOTOTOP