_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft: Tips & Techniques
Discussions on specific A/C building techniques.
Problem with airbrushing Vallejo
macotra4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 110 posts
AeroScale: 88 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 25, 2013 - 01:31 PM UTC
Guys,
I do need help. I am trying my best to learn how to use Vallejo acrylics in airbrush and there is no way that I can get them to work. Even primers are giving me a headache!!! I did google it out but maybe you guys can help me with that problem 
So far I am using Tamiya and Model Master Acrylics, but I want to start using Vallejo to have more of the choice.
Thanks for your help
SgtRam
Staff MemberEditor-at-Large
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
AeroScale: 511 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 25, 2013 - 01:57 PM UTC
I guess the first question is: are you using Vallejo Air or Model Color? There is a big difference. The Vallejo Air is designed for Airbrushing, and while it is pre-thinned, I still use a little more of the Vallejo Airbrush thinner. For the Vallejo Model Color, you need a lot more thinner, and again, I recommend using the Vallejo thinner.

As for their primer, again even though it is stated to be airbrush ready, I suggest adding Vallejo Airbrush thinner to it.

With Vallejo, I tend to use between 15-25 psi, depending on what I am doing.

Hope this helps.

macotra4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 25, 2013 - 02:58 PM UTC
thank you for a replay. I do use Model Color paints. what is ratio for paint to thinner?
raypalmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,151 posts
AeroScale: 985 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 25, 2013 - 03:01 PM UTC
Well for thinner I hope you're using water. Ideally distilled water. Anything else will be a total gong show.
macotra4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 25, 2013 - 03:09 PM UTC
I am using Vallejo thinner. can you tell me what kind of ratio are you using (paint:thinner)?
raypalmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, August 25, 2013 - 03:20 PM UTC
Section 2.9 "it has the same formula as the colors but without pigment." [sic]

They call that thinner, but they're off in candyland. It isn't. It's the diluent and binder of vallejo just without pigment and does not actually thin the paint in the way we are wanting. It thins the paint in terms of opacity without affecting flow or adhesion. We very much want to affect flow so it will go through our airbrush.

So that Vallejo thinner is not what we are wanting. You need to be using (distilled) water. Ratio of 1:1 maybe. I pretty much just eyeball it. I don't find it all that sensitive to ratio.
raypalmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, August 25, 2013 - 03:25 PM UTC
I just went and checked my vallejo shelf. It does say "Thinner Medium" so I suppose there's some vagary of language that makes that technically correct for what that is. But I assure you it's clear paint, not thinner.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 25, 2013 - 03:28 PM UTC
Well that's what happened to my poor DC-2 yesterday! I fell for the very same trap!
Darksolstice
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 12 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 25, 2013 - 03:29 PM UTC
I use distilled water 1:1 ratio and 2-3 drops of liquitex retarder, works every time for me now, I had trouble with Vallejo in the beginning, I also mix it right in my airbrush, putting the water in first, then paint, retarder and stir with a cocktail stick and then spray !!
raypalmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, August 25, 2013 - 03:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I use distilled water 1:1 ratio and 2-3 drops of liquitex retarder, works every time for me now, I had trouble with Vallejo in the beginning, I also mix it right in my airbrush, putting the water in first, then paint, retarder and stir with a cocktail stick and then spray !!

Liquitex retarder eh... if it ain't broke, don't fix it. But then again. I am a fiddler.

I don't know if I like the idea of it taking longer to dry, I'm still getting used to not having tamiya's instantaneous dry time. But does it keep the airbrush from gumming up? I find vallejo sensitive to higher pressure. If I let the pressure wander too high the stuff starts gumming the needle.
ejasonk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Baden-Württemberg, Germany
KitMaker: 314 posts
AeroScale: 71 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 25, 2013 - 03:57 PM UTC
For the Model Color line i use alcohol for thinning, it works very well
ludwig113
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
AeroScale: 1,110 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 25, 2013 - 08:14 PM UTC
the model colour line isn't supposed to be used in an airbrush, i dont think the pigments are ground as fine as the model air line.

but you can use it, i use vallejo airbrush cleaner to thin it, make sure you mix it very well, i do it away from the airbrush and then pour the mixed paint in the airbrush bowl, i dont mix it in the airbrush.

i have found that the vallejo thinner works as a retarder rather than a thinner, i.e. it stops the paint from drying too quickly.

thats how i do it, you will find most people have different ways of working.

paul
Darksolstice
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 12 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Monday, August 26, 2013 - 02:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Liquitex retarder eh... if it ain't broke, don't fix it. But then again. I am a fiddler.

I don't know if I like the idea of it taking longer to dry, I'm still getting used to not having tamiya's instantaneous dry time. But does it keep the airbrush from gumming up? I find vallejo sensitive to higher pressure. If I let the pressure wander too high the stuff starts gumming the needle.

the 2-3 drops of liquitex retarder I use jut keep it from drying on the tip of my air brush and lets the paint lay flatter, it doesn't slow drying time that drastically on the model..
chrism
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 160 posts
AeroScale: 156 posts
Posted: Monday, August 26, 2013 - 04:33 AM UTC
I use both the Model Air and Model Color lines. I use MA straight from the bottle and thin MC with water to about the consistency of 2% milk. I have no trouble airbrushing both lines. I do however use a gravity fed airbrush. I find that paints spray better for me when I use a gravity fed airbrush rather than a siphon fed one.
SmashedGlass
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 105 posts
AeroScale: 62 posts
Posted: Monday, August 26, 2013 - 09:44 AM UTC
There is a newer product specifically called "Airbrush Thinner", it looks very much like Tamiya X-20A or Model Master Acryl thinner in the bottle (that is, to say, a clear watery substance). This is what you need to use, not the older milky "thinner medium" which is actually meant for the thinning of Model Color/Game Color while brush painting. I have successfully airbrushed several Model Color shades using roughly a 2:1 ratio of Vallejo Airbrush Thinner to VMC paint with a few drops of Vallejo Gloss varnish thrown in to improve flow.
 _GOTOTOP