_GOTOBOTTOM
Rotary Wing
Discuss helicopters and other rotary wing aircraft from any era.
Revell 1/72 Mi-24 Hind E
tankglasgow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 275 posts
AeroScale: 9 posts
Posted: Friday, August 30, 2013 - 01:21 AM UTC

Picked this up at modelzone's closing down sale. I usually build armour but occasionally try a plane for a bit of variety and this one looked a mean machine.
The kit is a rebox using Zvezda moulds and is a monster of a kit with hundreds of parts including engines and gearbox, the detail for a small scale kit is amazing and really only let down a little by the cockpit which has decals for the instrument panels though there is an etch upgrade available which if I were to build it again would probabaly use. Assembly starts with the internals and the fit is good with no issues though it is important to make sure alignment is true and the fit is tight for these parts, as getting the two sides of the fuselage along with the two nose sides and nose floor to come together as one is no easy task and took me a lot of tweaking with files, scalpel and sandpaper particularly around the top where the rotor shaft emerges. I got it all together last night and left it overnight with clamps and lots of tape and am now at the horrible stage of trying to make the joins disappear.
I bought this kit as a quick fun build before starting something else and it's turned into a bit of an epic and definitely not one to be thrown together in a evening, with a bit of TLC though it may turn out well.

wychdoctor92394
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 219 posts
AeroScale: 136 posts
Posted: Friday, August 30, 2013 - 04:13 AM UTC
How long is that model?
tankglasgow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, August 30, 2013 - 07:03 AM UTC
James, it's about 9 1/4 inches long at the moment without rotor blades.
tankglasgow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, September 22, 2013 - 09:33 AM UTC

Just a quick pic to show that this one hasn't had an impromptu test flight against the wall, but god it's felt like it! When this is done I'm going to skulk back to my tanks, all these fiddly wee bits let alone canopy masking!
going for a lie down.......
spaarndammer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,945 posts
AeroScale: 388 posts
Posted: Monday, September 23, 2013 - 03:28 AM UTC
Nice build and a nice job on the camo!
tankglasgow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, October 15, 2013 - 07:56 AM UTC

Thanks for the comment, I'm still learning the airbrush and did it free hand rather than doing the rolled up bluetack thing. The camo edges are perhaps a bit soft but i can live with that.
Still plodding along with this, got wheels on and decals done. It's beginning to look a bit more interesting now. had a bit of trouble painting the MG Pods couldn't get a nice bare aluminium without them looking like they'd been sprinkled with glitter (not a good look) ended up mixing a little silver into light grey, still not 100 percent but they'll need to do, fed up painting and then stripping it off again.
tankglasgow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, October 23, 2013 - 11:01 AM UTC
Think I'm almost done with this, just a couple of touch ups that only become apparent on the pictures. I can honestly say I have found this kit one of the most challenging I have ever done, not for any inherent faults with the model rather by pushing my creaky skills to their absolute limit. Revell suggest that this model is suitable for ages 13 to adult, I think it should read suitable for ages 13 to 50! (the old eyes can't take much more of this)
DSCN0014
DSCN0010
DSCN0013
DSCN0004
DSCN0015
DSCN0018
Thank for having a look.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 23, 2013 - 12:05 PM UTC
You've done an incredible job on this difficult kit! Would you be willing to send me the pictures so I can put it up on the front page where it belongs?
tankglasgow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, October 24, 2013 - 08:05 AM UTC
Jessica, yes you can have the pics. delighted you like it, thats very flattering, can I send them to you via a PM? and if so what size?
Paul
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 24, 2013 - 08:15 AM UTC
Just wanted to say Paul, a really, really, top rate job on that Hind! I need to start building more helicopters. I have managed to break out of my WWII mold and build a couple jets, maybe helicopters can be next. Great work, thank you for sharing it with us. Russell
DaGreatQueeg
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Napier, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,049 posts
AeroScale: 41 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 24, 2013 - 08:59 AM UTC
Fantastic 72nd Hind!
Berwickboy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 450 posts
AeroScale: 387 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 24, 2013 - 10:42 AM UTC
This is a superb build. Don't worry about being out of your normal build routine, the Mil -24 IS a flying tank
 _GOTOTOP