_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft: Contests
A monthly online photo contest. Show your work!
first ipms show questions?
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 2,798 posts
AeroScale: 2,443 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 01, 2013 - 02:06 AM UTC
I will be attending my first show at the end of the month in orlando.my first question is will anybidy else be attending?

My second question is I know you guys are use to taking your models there and I've never moved mine ant tips for getting them there in one pc?
GhostHawk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Cordoba, Argentina
KitMaker: 268 posts
AeroScale: 264 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 01, 2013 - 06:09 AM UTC
Hello,

I usually do not move my models very much; my bakery shop didn’t allow me… But, when “we” moves, we travel a lot of distance…

So, in my small experience...

I put the model into a cardboard box (or plastic if you prefers) covered from inside whit rubber foam from a pillow or mattress… And after that a cut some pieces of rubber foam to put in the spaces between the model and the walls…

Be carefully; measure the foam needed and compress the segments of foam between your fingers, then release on its place in clear areas of your model…Put it far away from some precious details like pitots-tubes, canons, aerials or tinny propellers…

The main idea is limit the three axis of movement of your model into the box…!

Be aware of where do you put your boxes into your car… I never use the Trunk of the car… I put the boxes under the car seat, fixed with tape…

I hope it helps…

Good Lock and Good Hunt...!!!!

Diego
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 01, 2013 - 08:32 AM UTC
When I use to travel to IPMS contests, I would pack each model in a cardboard box separately. Each box got a good bottom layer of shredded paper, the model rested on it, and then covered with more shredded paper, but never over stretched sprue. Boxes were taped closed, and then tapped together. Most boxes I ever had was 3. Boxes were put on the back seat that was leveled the best we could, then blocked in so they couldn't move. For blocking we used pillows, jackets, just about anything. Luggage went into the trunk.

We always drove conservatively, but bumps and potholes were the killer. That's why the models rested on a layer of shredded paper, and not the bottom of the box.

Only once did I have damage. The front landing gear broke off a 1/72 scale Jaguar. Replacing popped Sprue antennas happened all the time.

It's always a crap shoot, so bring a small kit with whatever you think you'll need to repair broken landing gear, knocked off bombs, and of course sprue antennas with new ones.

Joel
mach1revo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 26 posts
AeroScale: 20 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 17, 2013 - 12:28 PM UTC
Justin i will be going to the Orlando Modelpalooza show. I hope to meet you there as i really enjoyed seeing your builds on here. I have not yet built a plane but have been buying them like crazy it seems. With stuff i have brought to shows in the past i have a shallow plastic tote that i glued a sheet of floral type foam in. I then place the model in and secure from moving with toothpicks. I then tape the tote to the back seat of the car. I have gone to Jaxcon and a show in south florida with this setup and no issues. I mainly build automotive but will also be bringing a 1/35 armor piece and 1/700 ship. I look forward to meeting you and picking your brain about a good plane to start with (Modern Jet). Thanks
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 17, 2013 - 01:16 PM UTC
Sweet I will be there brain and all
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 17, 2013 - 01:22 PM UTC
Oh and in my opinion the f-16 would be the first.

Not very big, not many parts, a ton of am stuff, not to expensive (depending on how crazy you want to go) tamiya's probably the best out there followed by kinetic (in my opinion) great beginner model for someone lokking to get into the modern stuff
mach1revo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 17, 2013 - 01:45 PM UTC
Cool. I do have both those already. I want to stay 1/48th and already bought the tamiya f-16 cj and the kinetic f-16 am block 20 tigermeet kit. I have most of the modern stuff in 48th. I have slowly been buying some interior photoetch for each. Justin are you on Facebook?
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 17, 2013 - 01:58 PM UTC
I am but I don't post many builds on there.1/48th is all that I buildyou might want to look at some of the aires atuff too.there resin castings are amazing I use them on most.just ordered there cockpit and wheel bays for my upcoming yf-102 project.
mach1revo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 17, 2013 - 03:18 PM UTC
I probably will look at the resin stuff more once i get one or two under my belt but i have seen it in some of the builds and its detail is impressive.
 _GOTOTOP