Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Needed Photo of Vindicator Folded Wing
retiredyank
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
AeroScale: 79 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 05, 2013 - 07:23 AM UTC
I would like to build the AM SB2U-3 Vindicator, with the wings folded. I have read that the included parts don't fit well and may not be completely accurate. I can't seem to find any photos that have the internal structure facing, for the wing. Can anybody help me out?
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 05, 2013 - 08:06 AM UTC
There's a picture on this page but it's taken from a fair distance away. The page says that the aircraft belongs to the National Museum of Naval Aviation. Perhaps you could contact them to see whether their archives can help you? You're in Florida so how about a quick road trip to Pensicola? Take lots of pictures and bring us back a feature while you're at it
retiredyank
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 05, 2013 - 08:13 AM UTC
I've seen that photo. Unfortunately, I can't make out any details. I had considered going to Pensacola, but it is a few hours away. I should be passing through, in a month or two. My grandfather's health is failing, so I feel I will be obliged to.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 05, 2013 - 09:09 AM UTC
Here's a grainy photo from page 36 of Squadron's SB2U Vindicator In Action. I enlarged it as much as I could without making it unusable. It's almost the only photo of a folded Vindicator in the book, and the only one which shows any kind of detail at all.

Photo credit US National Archives.
retiredyank
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 05, 2013 - 10:28 AM UTC
Thanks. My dad is out of town. I'll ask if he will be passing through Pensacola, on his way back. Pretty sure he took a camera. I doubt he would mind, as he retired from the FAA, after two tours in the EOD.
retiredyank
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 05, 2013 - 09:08 PM UTC
Found this. Thought I would post it, for anyone else that needs to see the ribbing.

_GOTOTOP