_GOTOBOTTOM
Modern (1975-today)
Discuss the modern aircraft age from 1975 thru today.
painting question
bep
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Limburg, Belgium
KitMaker: 566 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 03, 2003 - 10:37 AM UTC
Hello,

I'm currently building on an airbus 330 - version SN Brussels Airlines. It's a built with a friend of mine. We have a problem painting the "aileron" on the wing. How do you fellows do this? The problem is that when we paint it, the paint flows over the panel lines. How can you keep the paint on the right side of the panel or on one side of the line.
Sorry for the bad English.
Thanx in advance.
Greetz,
bytepilot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Karnataka, India / भारत
KitMaker: 381 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 03, 2003 - 03:57 PM UTC
Hi bep,

I don't think that can be done, b'cos of the natural laws of physics. Liquid will naturally flow into such crevices while painting. I can think of these options:
1. Plug the lines with Blu-Tak at the time of painting. Paint away, and then remove the Blu-Tak.
2. Paint the area. Then, with a very small brush, drybrush the earlier color back into the crevices where the paint has crept in.
3. Don't thin the paint too much. If it is thick, it won't flow as much around to the areas of depth.

HTH... I'm sure somebody out there can also offer a better opinion..

Cheers,
BP.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 04, 2003 - 07:46 AM UTC
:-) I'm not 100% sure of the problem, are you trying to stop the paint flowing into the panel line, or crossing it. To stop the paint getting into the panel line you would have to temporerily fill the panel line. To stop paint crossing the line simply mask the area where you don't want the paint. If I was painting the ailerons a different colour to the rest of the wing I would mask the wing, paint the aileron and use a dark wash to accent the seperation of the two. HTH :-)
Mal
bep
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Limburg, Belgium
KitMaker: 566 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 04, 2003 - 10:04 AM UTC
Thanx guys,
The problem is the crossing of the line so we'll try masking.

Greetz
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Friday, December 05, 2003 - 07:06 AM UTC
:-) Make sure you press the edge of the tape down well, to stop paint creeping under. If you are hand painting, paint away from the masking tape edge. If you are spraying, spray vertically or from the masking tape side, to prevent paint being blown under the tape :-)
Happy painting.
Mal
panzerschrek
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 40 posts
Posted: Friday, December 05, 2003 - 07:23 AM UTC
hey the blue tak really works well also dry brush it and make the paint a little thicker just like everyone said
 _GOTOTOP