_GOTOBOTTOM
Modern (1975-today)
Discuss the modern aircraft age from 1975 thru today.
Su-15 Flagon
Nito74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,386 posts
AeroScale: 635 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2013 - 04:04 AM UTC
Hi everyone !

I tried to build a Su-15 from A-model for the "Anything Goes" Campaign, it ended up in the trash, anyway long story...

I was looking for a suitable kit of that slim aircraft that had some good fitting and detailing .

I saw a Trumpeter version but don't know if it's any good.
Any opinions on that kit ? Any other brands that have that bird?

Thanks for the help !
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2013 - 05:45 AM UTC
The Trumpeter flagons are supposed to be quite easy to build. I can't vouch for their accuracy given that I haven't seen them out of the box. There was a 1/72 kit by Pioneer/PM which is extremely crude and inaccurate, which is to be expected of a kit tooled during the Cold War.
noseygit
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 3 posts
AeroScale: 3 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2013 - 06:14 AM UTC
The Trumpeter kit is not much better regarding accuracy than the PM/Pioneer kit. As it is a modern kit it does have nice surface detail and it is easy to build. Pavla has several upgrades to tackle the main shortcommings of the kit, most notably the nose cone, the air intakes and the vertical tail.
I believe quick boost also does a few upgrades.

The A-model kit is not that bad to build and is quite accurate, but it is best treated as a short run kit. dry fit and adjust everything until an optimal fit is reached. Beware that the landing gear is molded in a no load situation. If used as is the model will have the wrong "sit". Parked machines usualy have a nose up attitude.
There are some errors and omissions in the instructions too, and you will need to check your references for the machine you'd like to build as the sensor outfit varies from machine to machine.

The most accurate kit is the one by VES but this is a bit over engeneerd, and if you where stumped by the A-model kit i definately would not try that one, if you can even find it.
Nito74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2013 - 06:25 AM UTC
Thanks for the quick answer and reply !

Jessica, I will try the Trumpeter kit.

Jdwolf, my main problems with the A-model kit were, the landing gear and the cockpit bay that left a huge gap on the fuselage .. the other troubles were solvable but I ended up keeping the good decal sheet, sent the weapons sprue to England to another fellow Aeroscaler and scrapped the rest.

I will try to get the Trumpeter kit and might even start a small BuildLog.

Thanks again !
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2013 - 06:32 AM UTC
Hi there John. Russell here. I have the Trumpeter SU-15 kit, and it is a good one too. I thought I would include a couple of photos of the kit I have. I am going to opt for the camoflauge version since that is sort of unique for this aircraft. Hope this helps you out some. Russell

Nito74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2013 - 02:23 PM UTC
Thanks Russell !!

That's the one I'm planning to get, thanks for the photos !!
Nito74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Monday, November 25, 2013 - 06:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi there John. Russell here. I have the Trumpeter SU-15 kit, and it is a good one too. I thought I would include a couple of photos of the kit I have. I am going to opt for the camoflauge version since that is sort of unique for this aircraft. Hope this helps you out some. Russell

Russell, I got mine today !!

Nito74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Sunday, June 15, 2014 - 01:07 PM UTC
Russell had this one and following his advice I got mine.
I did it for the Trumpeter's Campaign, final photos.

_GOTOTOP