_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
1st auction on ebay
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2013 - 04:15 AM UTC
There's several 1/48 scale Accurate Miniature kits im interested in. My LHS has just a few left in stock, and I bought both of them. So I decided to try my luck in a ebay auction for the 1st time. Did a defined search, and found several kits. And there leading the list was a B-25C/D, which is right on top of my list. The seller is top rated, and in the Eastern half of the USA. The auction was over in just a few hours, and had zero bids. The min bid was $25. Decided to bid $26 with a max of $30. Got a notification when I logged on this morning that I won the auction. Shipping is a little steep at $12, but the full price of $38 is about the same as the kits I bought at my LHS without tax.

Still looking for a Vindicator and Avenger.

Joel
J8kob_F
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 202 posts
AeroScale: 92 posts
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2013 - 04:39 AM UTC
I think that eBay is great for finding the "rarer" kits and AM out there. Your still in luck when it comes to shipping. When you live here the frozen north it isn't uncommon with shipping exceeding 45$ to Sweden for the USA which is a little off-putting when the kit is half that. But I can only blame myself for living in a remote corner of the World

Cheers!

Jakob
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2013 - 04:52 AM UTC
Indeed Ebay's usually a good place to start looking for harder-to-find kits.

At the moment, there seems to be many AM Avengers on auction and for sale. In case you're not specifically looking for Accurate Miniatures' boxings, also search for Italeri and Academy, as they have both reboxed the AM kit.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 14, 2013 - 09:41 AM UTC
Jakob, Wow, those sure are those expensive shipping costs. It would surely put a major dent in my buying decisions for sure.

Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 14, 2013 - 09:43 AM UTC
Eetu, thanks for the heads up. I'll certainly do that as there are several AM kits I'm very interested in.

Joel
Lucky13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,707 posts
AeroScale: 1,119 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 14, 2013 - 10:57 AM UTC
Agree! There's been several times where I've not bothered to buy or bid on kits from the US, due to the sky high s/h, which sometimes been twice or three times the kit price and that's to UK!
So much for a bargain!
Don't want to lose too much of my beer account!
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 14, 2013 - 11:55 AM UTC
Is there a separate UK ebay?
Joel
plasticpoupon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Canada
KitMaker: 4 posts
AeroScale: 4 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 14, 2013 - 12:39 PM UTC
I bought several kits on ebay. the latest was the 1/48 scale special hobby he115 floating plane. It came from poland. It was bought on august 14th and was received in quebec on august the 21st. not bad for a travel from Poland to quebec(eastern part of canada). shipping price was 10 pounds. Overall, kit price plus shipping got just over $83.00.
thanks
John
Lucky13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,707 posts
AeroScale: 1,119 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 14, 2013 - 02:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Is there a separate UK ebay?
Joel

You've got ebay.com and ebay.co.uk mate....
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 15, 2013 - 01:43 AM UTC
Jan, thanks for the info. So it's possible for people in different regions of the world to buy/sell with more reasonable shipping costs. I'm also assuming that the sites aren't linked.

Joel
J8kob_F
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 202 posts
AeroScale: 92 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 15, 2013 - 03:26 AM UTC
correct me if i'm wrong:
There are individual Ebay site for a lot of countries in the world Sweden for example have one. They aren’t however totally separate as it is possible to see sellers from “other” eBay pages as well. The differences is mainly that the language is different, they use the countries own currency in Sweden it’s krona for example I also think that it shows “in country” hits first. I also think that there are some legal distinctions between the different pages, for example EBay buyer protection is only available if you buy stuff of eBay.com. Also I could only register on the Swedish page but I can log in on eBay.com so I guess this is for legal reasons too.

Thus shipping can still be very high even though you are ordering thru the Swedish page.

Jakob
 _GOTOTOP