_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
WnW Pfalz D.IIIa - Max Holtzem, early 1918
StukaJr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 346 posts
AeroScale: 292 posts
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2013 - 09:38 AM UTC
My first attempt at making a "blog" build - I have irregular access to photograph my work, but I'll try my best to document the process...

So - WingNut Wings Pfalz D.IIIa as flown by Max Holtzem. Completed cockpit framing and engine, ready for installation into the fuselage.

I do not yet rig control lines / rig the cockpit and this is pretty much assemblying the WnW out of the box and following manual to the T.

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2013 - 06:06 PM UTC
Any concerns in the construction?
StukaJr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2013 - 07:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Any concerns in the construction?

So far, the only concern is tightness of WingNut Wings' general tolerances when fitting unpainted VS painted elements together.... I paint with brush and Acryl paints, so parts that test fit flawlessly when unfinished, have just that extra micron of thickness to throw off the fit...

I've been making due with that by sanding edges of the frame where it will adhere with fuselage and not visible when fit together - I do paint rather thickly, so this is to be expected.
redcap
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 753 posts
AeroScale: 311 posts
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2013 - 10:07 PM UTC
Great start Ivan and given I am just on the home run for finishing my own D.IIIa I agree entirely with your comments about tightness of fit and tolerances caused by too much paint prior to assembling and gluing parts.

Look forward to seeing the end result.
Gary
StukaJr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, October 02, 2013 - 08:07 PM UTC
Fuselage is closed up and partially painted and decal'ed - I usually do decals as the last step, but I wasn't going to mess with wrap around fuselage decals with wings in place.

Decals applied with combination of pre-basting of MicroSet and MicroSol after, following JackFlash' advice for hot water to submerge decals into. It's a large decal, so I did miss an airbubble or two, but I've removed them next day (once cured) with fine sanding stick and touched up with paint.

Experimenting with less silvery Pfalz paint whilst trying to differentiate between aluminum cowling color and painted wood portions of the fuselage.

Also note Max Holtzem's Pfalz with individual "organ pipes" for exhaust, in progress on being installed - I've drilled out the ends with "just thick enough" pin wise bit.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 03, 2013 - 12:43 AM UTC
Looks good.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 10, 2013 - 11:17 AM UTC
Very nice so far

Terri
StukaJr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, October 22, 2013 - 08:00 PM UTC
All right, this wasn't much of a "blog" build but 3 progress updates is a good start I hope...

Here's the finished result:

No gripes about the design of the kit - all things that went screwy during the build are my own fault.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 23, 2013 - 03:48 AM UTC
A fine build. Max would have been impressed.
StukaJr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, October 23, 2013 - 06:23 AM UTC
Thanks, Jack!

It's worth noting that WnW provides decal option for finishing the shooting star on the top wing - giving the modeler choice whether to portray the aircraft in its historical or "as if finished" schemes.

Kit leaves the modeler with a good amount of spares for the scraps box. Even without arranging my lozenge cut outs very carefully, I was left with entire length of lower / upper lozenge (for those pesky kits shipping sans lozenge / poor quality decals)...
 _GOTOTOP