_GOTOBOTTOM
Pre-Flight Check
Constructive critique of your finished or in-progress photos.
First plane in 20 years
thebear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 07, 2003 - 09:25 AM UTC
Hi guys ...My friends put me up to this so I thought I'd show you how it turned out ..it is the tamiya corsair A1 straight out of the box ..hey I had fun with it but I think I'll stick to tanks ..
Rick

WeWillHold
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,314 posts
AeroScale: 82 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 07, 2003 - 09:34 AM UTC
Rick:

This looks well done---looks like you had it in a show?---how did it do?

Nice looking bird--the fading and weathering makes her look like she's been around the block once or twice. Nice job bringing out the panel lines---decals look sharp--this is good stuff.

Any more pics besides this one? Pretty impressive.

Steve

thebear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, December 07, 2003 - 09:42 AM UTC
Thanks for the comments Steve ...all my friends say that it shows I build armor kits cause of the weathering ...The show was just an expo with a peoples choice so of course the big jets in !/32 won that one...lol just glad I finished it in time....Got a pizza out of the deal ..lol
newtothegame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 588 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 07, 2003 - 10:19 AM UTC
Looks Awesome! I agree with Steve and would love to see a few more pictures of it.
thebear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, December 07, 2003 - 10:29 AM UTC
I'll see if my friend took any others and if he did I'll post a few more ..thanks again
TUNA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 449 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 07, 2003 - 10:53 AM UTC
Looks Great Bear! Weathering too!.. You should do more planes!

RotorHead67
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,174 posts
AeroScale: 226 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 07, 2003 - 11:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi guys ...My friends put me up to this so I thought I'd show you how it turned out ..it is the tamiya corsair A1 straight out of the box ..hey I had fun with it but I think I'll stick to tanks ..
Rick

You dont have to stick to tanks. It looks great. Do Another, and another and another.......
TODD
kkeefe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,416 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 07, 2003 - 12:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

....Got a pizza out of the deal ..lol

Well, I hope that your pizza had the "works" on it because that Corsair sure is a beauty!

I wouldn't know where to begin....
WeWillHold
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,314 posts
AeroScale: 82 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 07, 2003 - 01:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

all my friends say that it shows I build armor kits cause of the weathering ...

Sounds like they're jealous Rick

Steve
Major_Goose
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 6,871 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 07, 2003 - 07:00 PM UTC
Its really nice and i think i should build one like this, a very nice figure of plane, and a nice work you did there.You proved that we the armor gauys can build planes also nicely !! can the plane guys buils any nice tank ? heheheheh
Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
AeroScale: 750 posts
Posted: Monday, December 08, 2003 - 02:05 AM UTC
Rick, from what I can see, it looks very, very nice. I agree with everyone else and would love to see some more close-up pics to take a look at that weathering.

Couple of comments. On the port landing gear, there looks to be a small gap where the tire and hub meet. It could just be a shadow causing it to look that way, though.

Also, you may have done this and this pic doesn't show it well, but with the plane weathered as it is, I would expect the prop and prop hub to be weathered consistent with the rest of the plane.

Last comment. I've built the same kit, but the birdcage version, and the cowl flaps are all molded together with a recessed line simulating the gap between them. If you take a small razor saw the cut out that gap between the cowl flaps, it makes it more realistic-in my opinion.

Please enlighten us on your weathering process/technique.
TreadHead
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
AeroScale: 370 posts
Posted: Monday, December 08, 2003 - 02:16 AM UTC
Howdy thebear,

I don't know about the " I think I'll stick to tanks" comment Rick. Your Corsair looks dandy! And as to the further comment of "it shows I build armour because of the weathering" bit.....well, apparently they don't know much about the Corsair. I think it would be safe to say (never know anymore around here), and I don't want ot offend any Gull Fans, but that radial engine was known to leak a wee bit.

Keep up the good 'wingy thingy' work!

Tread.

But always remember to come back to the 'weathered' fold...OK? :-)
TankCarl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 3,581 posts
Posted: Monday, December 08, 2003 - 02:39 AM UTC
That is a prefectly fine Corsair.It gives you some other type of model to build when you get burnt out on the umpteenth Sherman or Tiger variant. (++) (++) (++) (++) (++) (++)
thebear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Monday, December 08, 2003 - 04:49 AM UTC
Thanks for all the comments....This was alot of fun not having to worry if the 42nd rivit on the collective dodad was exactly in the right place...With all these comments I'm kinda sorry I traded off my P-47 razorback ....Damn!
I did have trouble with my prop on this kit for some reason the black paint reacted funny to the thinner I used and became very lumpy...I had to strip it down and redo it ..I did a bit of weathering (doesn't show but it is there)but was just happy that it came out alright and didn't want to have to redo it again... This was a learning experience for sure and I give all aircraft modellers all the respect that they deserve...all that masking and decalling was quite a challenge ...my hat is off to you all.

Rick
csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,941 posts
AeroScale: 1,040 posts
Posted: Monday, December 08, 2003 - 01:33 PM UTC
Very nice. I like the paint job very much.
 _GOTOTOP