Spitfire Mk. IXc Otto Smik - Eduard 1/48
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 20, 2013 - 10:13 PM UTC
Hi all,

slowly but steady I managed to get this model done. I built it straight from the box. Closed up due to the scoreboard on the door. I forgot to add a few parts in the process but nothing too noticeable and I lost one (THE) mirror. Luckily I remembered I had a spare clear sprue from Nuremberg...

Paint is Tamiya XF81/82/83 though the ocean gray looks a tad too light IMHO (it is even lighter in the pix). Still it looks o.k. aside the Spit XII I painted with Lifecolor.

all the best

Steffen
eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 624 posts
AeroScale: 609 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 20, 2013 - 10:31 PM UTC
Hi Steffen,

Either something is dead wrong with my browser, or the images are not posted properly. I see nothing over here!

All the best,
Entoni
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Sunday, October 20, 2013 - 10:41 PM UTC
Thanks Entoni!

Well seems the server is down somehow. I could upload the pix without problem, but I am not able to reach my site via browser. As the error message says "translation server failed" I thought it might be just a problem on my end.

As this is hosted on a larger company (T-Online) I guess it will be up again soon.

meanwhile I have uploaded the pix on Scalemates

all the best

Steffen
Antoni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 574 posts
AeroScale: 573 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 20, 2013 - 10:42 PM UTC
The links go to http://www.ipmsdeutschland.de. When you try to go there you get a message 'translation server failed'. Seems that there is a problem at the hosting site.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Sunday, October 20, 2013 - 10:54 PM UTC
Seems it works now...
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Sunday, October 20, 2013 - 11:48 PM UTC
P.S. I used Mal Mayfields Miracle Mask for Spitfires on this model ...

@Mal: I still need some for Hurricanes! C U at Telford

cheers

Steffen
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Monday, October 21, 2013 - 05:20 AM UTC
Steffen, Nicely done Spit IXc. Camo paint scheme looks really good to me. Weathering on the top is realistic with that "used but not abused look" I prefer. Decaling, which I'm assuming is Mal's masks, is just perfect.

The only issue I found is the amount of engine oil/smoke streaking on the bottom of the aircraft. Just a tad too much compared to the weathering on top.

Still, a very well done OOB build.

Joel
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Monday, October 21, 2013 - 08:26 AM UTC
Thank you Joel!

Mals Masks were for the camo (see the picture I posted). Very easy to use and beautiful results for hard edge camo!

Honestly I think there is still too few oil stains. The Spitfire and the Bf 109 both suffered from heavy "leakages". It is more obvious on 109s with drop tank but Spitfires also got very dirty on the lower side.

all the best

Steffen
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, October 21, 2013 - 08:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thank you Joel!

Mals Masks were for the camo (see the picture I posted). Very easy to use and beautiful results for hard edge camo!

Honestly I think there is still too few oil stains. The Spitfire and the Bf 109 both suffered from heavy "leakages". It is more obvious on 109s with drop tank but Spitfires also got very dirty on the lower side.

all the best

Steffen

Steffen,
thanks for informing me of that. I really didn't realize it was that bad with oil leakage.
Joel
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Monday, October 21, 2013 - 09:34 AM UTC
Hi all,

Quoted Text

I really didn't realize it was that bad with oil leakage.

The Spitfire was notorious for it's oil leakage. The picture is from a thread over at Britmodeller.com. So better a little bit more than less on a Spitfire model...

Steffen, very nice! How many Spitfire will you take with you for Telford? I have five so far...

Jean-Luc
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, October 21, 2013 - 11:56 AM UTC
Jean-Luc, thanks so much for posting that picture. In this case it is truly worth a 1,000 words.

Joel
GastonMarty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 595 posts
AeroScale: 507 posts
Posted: Monday, October 21, 2013 - 12:30 PM UTC

I think oil staining is rather a modeller's option...

What is not an option is not trusting a kit's dihedral, ever: I usually use several agreeing photos as a reference, combined with drawings: Most low-wing WWII fighter kits have a tendency for a too modest dihedral, and one of the most severe in that aspect is Tamiya's much acclaimed 1/48th P-51 series (a problem which shows up only when a cockpit fills the fuselage): I have yet to see one built with a realistic dihedral... When not too severe, it can often be as simple as bending the plastic of a finished kit... :

Gaston
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Monday, October 21, 2013 - 01:37 PM UTC
Gaston, once again the pictures you posted do not support your claim. Comparing a Spitfire I to a Spitfire IX model, both photos taken at different angles does not a valid comparison make.
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Monday, October 21, 2013 - 02:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The Spitfire was notorious for it's oil leakage.

That is very surprising to me!

Steffen, good looking Spit! (Even if it hasn't 'drooled' enough!)
Grauwolf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,485 posts
AeroScale: 95 posts
Posted: Monday, October 21, 2013 - 04:36 PM UTC
Steffan,
That is a very nice Spitfire, I must build one of these.

Really like the paint job and oil streaks!

PS GASTON....
The aircraft's (model) center line is not even 90 degrees
to the camera so how can you even attempt to take any valid
measurements and question dihedral?

Cheers,
Joe
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Monday, October 21, 2013 - 06:15 PM UTC
Thank you Jean-Luc, Fred and Joe!

Gaston: Jessi said it all. Please do not use my picture elsewhere! I accept that you wanted to support your statement on my model, still, it is MY model and MY picture. Thank you.

As for the staining. It might be different depending on unit and theatre of operations. But in the end these were high performance engines. The normal lifetime for a DB was about 50 hrs .. yeah you do not want to have such thing in your car. Maybe the Merlin was a bit better on that though. OTOH how long does a F1 engine run before a mayor check (i.e. disassembly, changing parts, rebuild)

J-L: As I wrote you I will only get one done (and I am happy it is done already). I have a few other projects that I want to finish so I will only bring one Eduard Spitfire. I have another ICM though?! But I think 6 or so will be sufficient for our display )

all the best

Steffen
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Monday, October 21, 2013 - 08:13 PM UTC
The oil staining on Spitfires wasn't always as bad, when researching this for my 1/32 Mk V i was surprised at how few pictures, that I found, showed it as bad. That said it is true that some, clearly, did leak badly and the PR Spits had a larger oil tank, which is why their nose profile is different.

A great model Steffen and I will have a set of Hurricane camo masks for you at Telford

Gaston, the pics that you posted seem to actually show the opposite of what you are claiming, please stop it, there is nothing wrong with Steffen's model (Apart maybe from the spread of the gear legs which you have said nothing about!)
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Monday, October 21, 2013 - 08:37 PM UTC
Nice job Steffen!

Have a great time at Telford - once again, I wish could meet up with you there, but I can't get away from home or work.

All the best

Rowan
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Monday, October 21, 2013 - 09:06 PM UTC
Thank you Mal and Rowan!

@Mal: Modelphotos are a mine field. There is some distorsion due to Makro, colour changes and the like. I would love to discuss this at our booth with You and J-L and our 6 (or more) Spitfires I was rather "joking" re the Hurricane camo masks, but I really need these to get my 2nd Mk.I ready (remember the Stormfront thread ?) So I will definitely buy 2!

@ Rowan: excuses excuses, all I hear are excuses! This is the 50th anniversary of IPMS UK! .... too bad you cannot be there. Jean-Luc managed to persuade his boss to give him a day free so we can go together. Not sure what next year will be.

anyway, thanks again(!) and all the best

Steffen

Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 22, 2013 - 04:08 AM UTC
Steffen, I"m sorry I even brought up the oil staining issue. My comment was strictly based on my personal preferences on how I like my models to look. I really shouldn't have applied that criteria to other modelers interpretation and work.

As I said earlier, overall your Spit IXc is an outstanding OOB Build.

As for Gaston's dihedral issue, I can't comment one way or the other, as I have never much cared to carefully measure it, other then to get it the same for both wings.

Unfortunately, the assumption that to correct a lack of dihedral, would just require the bending of the wings is incorrect, if the wing roots are a proper fit. That would just cause the wings to slightly warp in a upwards curve, with the greatest of the warp being the thinner outer sections. I'm not so sure that over a period of time the wings just wouldn't relax back to their original shape & dihedral angle. Careful sanding of the upper wing panels to achieve the correct angle after pulling up with tape would be the only way to correct that issue.

Measuring the actual kit dihedral is another issue. Landing gear would have to perfectly square & Plumb, and match exactly side to side. The angle of dihedral, has to be supplied from official specs, not eye balled from a photograph as Jessica pointed out.

Joel

Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 22, 2013 - 06:31 PM UTC
Hi Steffen,

Quoted Text

I was rather "joking" re the Hurricane camo masks,

Never joke about masks And what I meant was that you won't have to pay for them
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Tuesday, October 22, 2013 - 07:26 PM UTC
Thanks again Mal!

"joking": I did not know you have a Hurricane camo set!

BTW hope you have it in 48 scale too (IIRC you focus on 32nd)

all the best

Steffen
 _GOTOTOP