_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Turnbuckle application
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 26, 2013 - 07:25 AM UTC
Greetings to all early aviation modelers. Greetings to all early aviation modelers. Just a bit of a tip to the novice. When adding turnbuckles to biplanes, use only the lower end positions of the bracing and flying wires. The eye and hook method was used in the upper end positions. Why you might ask? The lowest point was the quickest way to adjust wires in the field. Turnbuckles were only used for adjusting the bracing or flying wires. Even at the nationals I have seen well built models with two turnbuckles on each wire and be disregarded for further competition. A quick reference is the NASM book on the Albatros D.Va by Mikesh.

Image from the old Rhinebeck Aerodrome.
rochaped
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 679 posts
AeroScale: 669 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 26, 2013 - 09:44 AM UTC
Stephen,
Thanks for sharing this usefull information.
Since i have very little knowledge on technical aspects of early airplanes i was oblivious of this.

Cheers
Pedro
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 8,227 posts
AeroScale: 3,915 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 27, 2013 - 03:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Greetings to all early aviation modelers. Just a bit of a tip to the novice. When adding turnbuckles, use only the lower end positions of the bracing and flying wires. The eye and loop method was used in the upper end positions. Why you might ask? The lowest point was the quickest way to adjust wires in the field. Turnbuckles were only used for adjusting the bracing or flying wires. Even at the nationals I have seen well built models with two turnbuckles on each wire and be disregarded for further competition. A quick reference is the NASM book on the Albatros D.Va by Mikesh.

Image from the old Rhinebeck Aerodrome.

Great info ! at 1/16th scale I like Ken Foran's level of detail as I don't think that the safety wire is necessary.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 02, 2013 - 10:32 AM UTC
One exception would be the two turnbuckles on the trestle of the early aviation monoplanes like the Fokker Eindeckers. But as the midwing monoplanes were phased out this disappeared as well.
 _GOTOTOP