_GOTOBOTTOM
Modern (1975-today)
Discuss the modern aircraft age from 1975 thru today.
REVIEW
Revell 1:144 C-17A Globemaster III
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
AeroScale: 2,201 posts
Posted: Monday, October 28, 2013 - 07:54 AM UTC
Jan Etal takes a look in the box of the Revell USA C-17A Globemaster III.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Monday, October 28, 2013 - 01:42 PM UTC
Way too modern to show up on my shelf yet an impressive model all the same. I foresee some big dioramas in the future. It looks like Revell struck a good balance between interior detail and what can be seen.
tread_geek
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
AeroScale: 144 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2013 - 03:18 AM UTC
@warreni - Warren,

My thanks for getting this one up in such a timely manner.

@JTPRR - Fred,

Thank you for commenting and indeed, it is an extremely impressive model compared to some earlier model transports that I've built. I could not help but think while doing the review that perhaps Revell could have taken things even further by providing cut-away sections made of clear styrene so the interior would have been more visible.

As for a diorama, absolutely! There is a manufacturer (MiniHobby Models) that produces 1/144 modern military vehicles, including a twin pack of the M1A1. I believe that there are others that make aircraft support equipment in this scale and even figures. Can one imagine this thing in 1/72 scale!

Cheers,
Jan
JClapp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,265 posts
AeroScale: 1,715 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2013 - 04:49 AM UTC
that's on my long list, thanks for the nice presentation.
tread_geek
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2013 - 02:27 PM UTC
Jonathan,

Thanks for your acknowledgement of the review and your interest. It's a beautiful kit and I must admit, that it is rather intimidating to me. I have done 1/144 aircraft recently but nothing this large and complex. FWIW, if price is an issue, I have seen it at a few Web shops for just over $30.00.

Cheers,
Jan
viper29_ca
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 2,247 posts
AeroScale: 168 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2013 - 03:14 AM UTC
It's not as pricey as it was when it was released a few years ago in a Revell Germany box. Selling it at my shop for $36.75, and for something this large, that's a steal.
tread_geek
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2013 - 04:48 AM UTC
Scott,

Thanks for dropping in and clarifying the pricing issue for interested Canadians. As I stated in the review, "...some may find it pricey..." but I can assure potential buyers that they will get a lot more than they might imagine. The box is a little over three inches tall and it is "stuffed to the rafters" with plastic. Compared to recent offerings from a certain Hong Kong based manufacturer, you get a lot of bang for your buck and the instructions also are far more concise and accurate.

Cheers,
Jan
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2013 - 07:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

@warreni - Warren,

My thanks for getting this one up in such a timely manner.

@JTPRR - Fred,

Thank you for commenting and indeed, it is an extremely impressive model compared to some earlier model transports that I've built. I could not help but think while doing the review that perhaps Revell could have taken things even further by providing cut-away sections made of clear styrene so the interior would have been more visible.

As for a diorama, absolutely! There is a manufacturer (MiniHobby Models) that produces 1/144 modern military vehicles, including a twin pack of the M1A1. I believe that there are others that make aircraft support equipment in this scale and even figures. Can one imagine this thing in 1/72 scale!

Cheers,
Jan

I try my best to get stories up as soon as I get them Jan. Great review by the way.

On another note, I built this one many moons ago now and the fit in some areas wasn't the best, especially around the main landing gear. Forearmed is forewarned.
Cheers
Warre,
tread_geek
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, November 01, 2013 - 03:18 AM UTC
Warren,

Thanks for the kudos about the review and also for the heads up about a problem area. As for the landing gear, as soon as I saw the instructions for its assembly I figured this will cause some problems (lots of small parts with potential loose fits). I saw a few blogs around the 'Net but most are rather vague and don't recall any complaints other than the main gear doors don't fit well in the gear up position. Discussions like this can save a few headaches for the potential builders.

Cheers,
Jan
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, November 01, 2013 - 07:23 AM UTC
Talking of pricing, the C-17 is on special at Luckymodel at the moment..
viper29_ca
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 2,247 posts
AeroScale: 168 posts
Posted: Friday, November 01, 2013 - 04:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Scott,

Thanks for dropping in and clarifying the pricing issue for interested Canadians. As I stated in the review, "...some may find it pricey..." but I can assure potential buyers that they will get a lot more than they might imagine. The box is a little over three inches tall and it is "stuffed to the rafters" with plastic. Compared to recent offerings from a certain Hong Kong based manufacturer, you get a lot of bang for your buck and the instructions also are far more concise and accurate.

Cheers,
Jan

Yeah, the old Revell Germany boxing has quite a bit bigger box, which I never understood, when I saw this one I had to wonder how they got it all to fit in the box. Sadly no CDN markings in either the Revell Germany, or Revell USA boxings.
pria2022
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 240 posts
AeroScale: 159 posts
Posted: Monday, February 17, 2014 - 05:14 AM UTC
I hope Revell does this one in 1/72nd eventually along with a 1/72nd C-141!
ljames0874
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 408 posts
AeroScale: 365 posts
Posted: Monday, February 17, 2014 - 10:06 AM UTC
I'm building the RAF boxed version at the moment, and it is going together very well. The detailing in the cargo bay is very nicely done.
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 02:50 AM UTC
Jan, thanks for a very detailed review. With my aging eyes, and the number of small parts, I'll wait for a 1/72 scale offering.
Joel
tread_geek
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 08:38 AM UTC
Thanks for all the comments people. This truly is an amazing and detailed kit for the scale and is big enough in 1/144! In 1/72 you are talking a length of 29" and a span of 28.5" so it'll take up some serious real estate! Anigrand makes a resin and white metal one but will seriously impact your hobby budget at $185 plus a further $32 or so for shipping.

@Joel_W - Most of the parts with this kit are a fairly good size for the scale but maybe it's time to look into a good pair of Oti-visors. I 've used a pair of 5X for years but you can get various magnifications up to 10X and the lenses can be purchased separately and they are easily interchangeable.

Cheers,
Jan
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 09:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for all the comments people. This truly is an amazing and detailed kit for the scale and is big enough in 1/144! In 1/72 you are talking a length of 29" and a span of 28.5" so it'll take up some serious real estate! Anigrand makes a resin and white metal one but will seriously impact your hobby budget at $185 plus a further $32 or so for shipping.

Not to mention that after spending all of that, you need to do some serious reshaping of the beast if you want an accurate C-17.
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 09:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

@Joel_W - Most of the parts with this kit are a fairly good size for the scale but maybe it's time to look into a good pair of Oti-visors. I 've used a pair of 5X for years but you can get various magnifications up to 10X and the lenses can be purchased separately and they are easily interchangeable.

Cheers,
Jan

Jan,
I use my Opti-visors for all model work. My current pair are 7X. Part of my problem is I'm legally blind in my left eye, so I have very little depth perception.

Thanks for those measurements. They're a little more then I can handle on my bench.

Joel
 _GOTOTOP