Hosted by Rowan Baylis
1/48 Lavochkin La-7
FinneganBojangles
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 60 posts
AeroScale: 56 posts
Posted: Friday, November 01, 2013 - 11:20 AM UTC
So here's my current main project, Eduard's 1/48 La-7. Profipack edition, so it comes with a lot of nice PE parts which historically I have not had too much luck with, but I'm doing pretty well so far with them!

Just a few dry-fit photos

For once on one of my kits, the belts came out nice!

The interior is nearly done, next step is some weathering. Once I'm done ironing out my airbrush problems I'll spray everything with a coat of Future to prep it for that.

I'm planning on doing this color scheme:

Anyone have any advice on painting the bare metal panels for the exhaust?
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Friday, November 01, 2013 - 12:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It will probably be easier to paint the airframe and then mask off the panels and paint them a burnt metal color. That way you don't have to paint the panels and then try to mask those curves and contours. I would make them a dull silver with darker metal colors airbrushed on in a graduated progression, but I don't know what they were made of - aluminum or steel? Either way I would presume that closet to the engine the metal would be more annealed and discolored. Plus, will you depict your La as factory-fresh, prepped for a flight, or just back from a fight? That would dictate how much exhaust staining you would need.
FinneganBojangles
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, November 10, 2013 - 02:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

It will probably be easier to paint the airframe and then mask off the panels and paint them a burnt metal color. That way you don't have to paint the panels and then try to mask those curves and contours. I would make them a dull silver with darker metal colors airbrushed on in a graduated progression, but I don't know what they were made of - aluminum or steel? Either way I would presume that closet to the engine the metal would be more annealed and discolored. Plus, will you depict your La as factory-fresh, prepped for a flight, or just back from a fight? That would dictate how much exhaust staining you would need.

I'm pretty sure it's bare aluminum by the engine exhausts, and also the two rings on the cowling. Not sure of the reasoning behind it, but you see that on the La-5, La-9, and La-11 as well. Haven't given much thought toward my depiction of the aircraft yet... probably prepped for flight, as I want to experiment with some weathering but not go over the top.

Made some progress on the kit itself today, finished up the cockpit and the interior. Later this week I'm going to paint the rear landing wheel and start assembly of the fuselage and wings. Here are a few pics:

I tried out panel lining with a pencil for the first time on the cockpit interior, I think it came out pretty well. I was hesitant to try an oil wash because I was afraid to lose some of the PE parts, I'd already lost several to the carpet monster, but it came out looking pretty nice despite that.
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 10, 2013 - 02:22 PM UTC
Always thought that Seymon Lavochkin had some really nice looking birds come out of his design bureau! I would like to build a Russian bird like yours in 72 scale. Russell
FinneganBojangles
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, November 10, 2013 - 02:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Always thought that Seymon Lavochkin had some really nice looking birds come out of his design bureau! I would like to build a Russian bird like yours in 72 scale. Russell

Hi Russell,

Eduard makes one of their 'dual combo' packages for the La-7 in 1/72, so you can put together two planes from the same box. If I remember right it's a steal for just $20, if the quality's as good as their 1/48 it's definitely worth it.
 _GOTOTOP