_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Call for submissions: The How To series.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 03, 2013 - 02:04 PM UTC
Do you have a favourite modelling trick? Does something you do make building faster, easier or more enjoyable? Why not share it with your colleagues? I'm asking for feature article submissions for Aeroscale's "How To:" series. How To: Build a jig for floats, How To: Make canopy frames from decal film, How To: Maintain your airbrush.

What would you like to add to that list? No trick is too obscure, no idea is too silly to be included. Share your ideas and inspire us all.

Simply describe your technique broken down into simple steps, and include a selection of photos which illustrate how it works. Send in your submission to jessica.cooper(at)aeroscale.co.uk and I'll take care of making you famous Aeroscale-wide
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 05, 2013 - 05:17 AM UTC
Jessica,
I'll certainly give it some thought. The truth is that my modeling skills are just basic, and I have used the same old fashioned tried and true modeling methods for more then 40 years.

Joel
FAUST
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
AeroScale: 190 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 05, 2013 - 05:25 AM UTC
Ah this actually reminds me of creating that how to on dirty hangar floors. The one that I promised a long time ago.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, November 05, 2013 - 05:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'll certainly give it some thought. The truth is that my modeling skills are just basic, and I have used the same old fashioned tried and true modeling methods for more then 40 years.

It's amazing how many of those old fashioned tried and true modelling methods are not obvious to others. What I want to do is to create a library of old fashioned tried and true modelling methods that beginners can dig into, and that old hands can revisit to find inspiration. So don't be shy, share your expertise

For example, the weathering technique you just used on your Devastator merits an article. That's exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for. Way back in the late '80s and early '90s, FSM magazine ran an intermittent series they called Basic Techniques" Advanced Results. That's the kind of attitude these articles foster that I wish to build a home for here on Aeroscale.
StukaJr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 346 posts
AeroScale: 292 posts
Posted: Monday, November 11, 2013 - 10:07 PM UTC
I can re-hash the lacquered wood technique for fuselage panels and props of early Aviation (cough cough Albatros)

What format should these be done in?
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2013 - 02:17 AM UTC
The format should be step by step if your technique allows for that, accompanied by photos which correspond to each step.
 _GOTOTOP