_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
NEWS Airfix announce new Typhoon
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 09, 2013 - 06:57 AM UTC
Airfix announced at the IPMS Telford model show that they. Are going to release a 1/24th Hawker Typhoon.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
Mcleod
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,028 posts
AeroScale: 939 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 09, 2013 - 07:59 AM UTC
I'm no expert. Its just my opinion they would have better sales with an accurate and reasonably priced 1/48 offering.

Looks nice, though.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 09, 2013 - 08:14 AM UTC
Test shot pictures available over here.
robot_
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 719 posts
AeroScale: 691 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 09, 2013 - 11:06 AM UTC
I was at the Airfix Researsh and Development lecture at Telford today, and spoke to the Typhoon designer afterwards. The kit offers both tails and both props, and three types of spinner (two different four blade variants). The rear deck behind the cockpit has moulded inside where to cut for the car door version, so one is probably coming if this sells well. The box art is scheme A, and depicts Charles Green's first rocket attacks on D-day. The B scheme is a plainer typhoon, C scheme will be the sharkmouth. Can't remember what they said the D scheme was. They tested different skin effects and rivets by actually having a test panel tooled and injected. The 1:72 Tiffie was the designer's first model for Air fix, and was a trial for this big one. It was whilst the designer was measuring for this big cockpit that he lost the infamous Hornsby tape measure in the Typhoon cockpit (that was found and reported online) luckily the 72 release was a good cover story for that slip-up.

Anyway, here are some photos from the talk and of the test shots:

betheyn
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 09, 2013 - 11:15 AM UTC
Thanks for uploading more pictures of this absolutely stunning model Ben, it's near enough impossible to upload more then one pic from my iPhone .
Andy
robot_
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 719 posts
AeroScale: 691 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 09, 2013 - 11:21 AM UTC
I've remembered what they said scheme D was going to be: Pulveriser IV, a RCAF bombphoon.
acktwice
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 51 posts
AeroScale: 50 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 09, 2013 - 12:14 PM UTC
Wow. It looks like a from the ground up build. I'm going to start stashing away money for its release. I love large scale projects' they're easier on the eyes.
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
AeroScale: 2,904 posts
Posted: Monday, November 11, 2013 - 03:00 AM UTC
Interesting views of the built up seat, wonder what they're going to use for belts? It looks like a couple of cuts above the Mossie, may have to start saving the pennies now!
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Monday, November 11, 2013 - 10:23 PM UTC
The photos, as good as they are, don't come close to doing it justice.
The Airfix guys were aiming for an £80-£90 RRP.
Its worth the price of admission for the Napier Sabre alone.
Absolutely stunning, and I'm having one at next years SMW if not before.
I even went for "one last look" just before SMW closed

It's only the designers second kit, his first being the 1:72 Typhoon.
If this is what he's turning out now, then he has quite a future!
Mcleod
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2013 - 01:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I agree, it's likely to be a beautiful kit and well worth the money. Still, its just too big.

Other than hanging from the ceiling, or in a museum, how would one display such a monster?

I'm not being negative on the kit. Its just my belief, that the vast majority of modelers have size and space limitations.
EdgarBrooks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 397 posts
AeroScale: 384 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2013 - 09:16 AM UTC
In comparison with the "delicate" Spitfire, the Typhoon's wingspan is 41'7" against 36'10", or 4'9" greater, which equates to 2.375 inches in 1/24 scale. The Spitfire XIV's length was 32'8" against 31'11", so the Typhoon is slightly over 1/4" shorter; several Telford attendees have commented on how small the finished model actually looked, so "monster" might be overdoing it a little.
Edgar
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2013 - 12:00 PM UTC
When theres a built 1:24th VFS P-47 on top of one display cabinet, the Tiffie looks small in comparison

It'll fill the space on top of the other one while I wait for a 1:24th Razorback...........

Mcleod
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2013 - 01:33 PM UTC
Well then, in the face of overwhelming authority from those in the know, I hereby change my 'monster' symbiology to the term 'Lunker'. Which, at least where I come from, could be a big fish story.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2013 - 06:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Yes, in the the flesh this is a real draw dropper Airfix haven't just raised the bar with this it looks like they have placed it out of reach, until their next kit. They also seem to be planning more of the same and didn't appear to be ruling out any possibility. I heard a guy ask for a Defiant, which wasn't ruled out! To give you more indication of just how good this looks, at least 2 dedicated 1/144 scale modellers told me that they would be getting one.

If this kit is missing anything it is paint masks for the markings, which will be good for me as this is one kit that will be built in numbers I have already started on the camouflage masks
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2013 - 08:54 PM UTC
Hi there

I love the slightly pillowed look of the skin stressed through service - it looks amazing! A real first in a mainstream kit, and quite daring for Airfix - I do wonder if those who prefer their models to look "factory fresh" will appreciate it as much as I do...

All the best

Rowan
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
AeroScale: 2,904 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2013 - 01:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi there

I love the slightly pillowed look of the skin stressed through service - it looks amazing! A real first in a mainstream kit, and quite daring for Airfix - I do wonder if those who prefer their models to look "factory fresh" will appreciate it as much as I do...

All the best

Rowan

Rowan,

Frankly the very possibility that it might look like that turns me off so completely that I hereby declare the thing completely unbuildable and call for an immediate boycott of the kit specifically and Airfix in general.

OK, actually I'm calling for a boycott so no one else will buy one and there will be more for me! So far my only concerns are the price (fully understandable but still hard to dig up) and my lingering "what are they using for seat belts" question. I'm guessing I'll come up with a solution for both by the time it's available!

Michael
Torchy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,016 posts
AeroScale: 475 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2013 - 02:55 AM UTC
me me me ,now now now ,gotta have this to sit next to my Mossie
Bloddy stunning
TheModeller
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 127 posts
AeroScale: 61 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2013 - 10:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

So far my only concerns are the price (fully understandable but still hard to dig up) and my lingering "what are they using for seat belts" question.

The price will be in the 80 to 90 quid range, a bargain, and the seat belts are individual moulded plastic, the ones on the seat in the pictures.
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
AeroScale: 1,351 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2013 - 08:20 PM UTC
I'll be getting one for sure, it's not my scale and where I'd put it are questions I'll answer when it's built. I did make a remark at the stand to the Airfix rep that they need to follow it with a Tempest II, I got a smile back! read into that what you like but I'm keeping everything crossed that a Tempest will follow.
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2013 - 06:40 AM UTC
Ditto.

Kind out of my field of expertise but looking at all that detail makes my skin bristle (in a good way) It will make an impressive build for sure. SWMBO won't realise till it's too late just how big a hunk.

Anyone who thins the suggested price is expensive should compare to what Tamiya 1/32nd scale spits sell at and they are sans weapon bays etc.

Keith
 _GOTOTOP