_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Oil over acrylic paint question.
teak29
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 23 posts
AeroScale: 20 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2013 - 09:31 AM UTC
When painting oil over acrylic paint for a faux wood look, what is the safe thinner to use for thinning oils and possibly wiping up, without ruining the acrylic base coat.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2013 - 09:45 AM UTC
Any thinner suitable for use with oils should not affect properly dried acrylics, but if you're worried apply a barrier coat of Future/Kleer just to be sure.
GhostHawk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Cordoba, Argentina
KitMaker: 268 posts
AeroScale: 264 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2013 - 11:06 AM UTC
Hi,

I agree with Jessica,

Any Turpentine or mineral spirits can not ruin your acrylic paint... (DO NOT USE LAQUER THINNERS...!!!)

But, I like to protect with a gloss coat, becuse it's more safe and specially because the wash run (or spread) in a better way...

I hope my English do not destroy the idea...

Diego
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2013 - 03:25 AM UTC
while Mineral Spirits won't effect acrylic based paints, one thing to keep in mind is that with flat paints, the oil/enamels will settle into the nooks & crannies, so even a application of Mineral Spirits to remove it will generally leave some staining. The glossy the surface, the less staining is possible. A clear coat eliminates the staining issue, and lets you streak the oil paints for a wood effect in a more realistic fashion.

The effect I'm looking for, dictates what type of finish the base coat will have, and whether or not I need to seal it.

Joel
 _GOTOTOP