Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 16, 2013 - 08:48 PM UTC
The Airfix 1/72 Spitfire Mk1, finished in the markings of Geffrey Wellum's first Spitfire QJ-K K9998. Geoffrey Wellum was the youngest pilot to fly Spitfires during the Battle of Britain. His book "First Light" is a wonderful read and all copies sold in Mullion (where I live) are signed The account of what happened to this particular Spitfire certainly shows that the Spitfire could easily out turn the venerable Bf 109E, it is what saved Geoffrey Wellums young life when out of Ammo!

This was actually finished in time for Telford. There are no antenna and IFF wires deliberately because this was probably going to and did get handled a lot and it is all about the painted on markings.

Posed on a signed copy of Geoffrey Wellum's book,First Light, which is an outstanding read

The complete painting of this can be found HERE
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, November 18, 2013 - 08:34 PM UTC
I forgot to mention that all of the markings are painted on using my paint masks, including the serial Number
kenner
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 122 posts
AeroScale: 119 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 20, 2013 - 09:55 AM UTC
Very nice Spitfire!

Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, November 20, 2013 - 09:02 PM UTC
Thanks Kenneth
Draken35akaScimitar
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Namur, Belgium
KitMaker: 114 posts
AeroScale: 49 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 14, 2013 - 06:56 AM UTC
Excellent!
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2014 - 08:17 PM UTC
Thank you Daniel
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 09, 2014 - 02:54 AM UTC
Mal, The OOB build, camo paint scheme and weathering is near on perfect. The stenciling looks exactly as it should, painted on. A modeling effort well done.

What also jumped right out at me, is Airfix's recessed panel lines. For 1/72 scale, they just look too pronounced, and over power the overall appearance of the model. In 1/72 scale other then the separation of the flying surfaces, they should be practically invisible. Unfortunately, there really isn't much if anything one can do about it.

Joel
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, January 09, 2014 - 09:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

What also jumped right out at me, is Airfix's recessed panel lines. For 1/72 scale, they just look too pronounced, and over power the overall appearance of the model. In 1/72 scale other then the separation of the flying surfaces, they should be practically invisible. Unfortunately, there really isn't much if anything one can do about it.

Hi Joel,
Yes the panel lines are a bit exaggerated which is why I didn't use a panel line wash, They don't look too bad and it does look like a Spitfire. The main thing is that my grand daughter doesn't mind.

I'm still waiting for Rowan to comment, he PM'd me as to why he hasn't but I think that he should, good or bad; he thinks that its bad but I can handle it, say what you think Rowan..........Challllllllange
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, January 10, 2014 - 01:48 AM UTC
Mal
My issue is with Airfix's heavy handed designers, certainly not with your build. As I said, your markings look painted on, which is what they were. As a viewer it's the end results that count, and they're spot on.

As a complete British airplane neophyte, I do have one question though. The roundels on the top of the wing have the black walkways going over them. I've seen them both over and not over on models. Someone posted on another build that the official painting procedures stipulates that nothing is painted on top of the roundels. Is this right or wrong? Just curious, but it's been nagging me.

Love your challenge to Rowan. Whatever he posts, it certainly will be in good taste.

Joel
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, January 10, 2014 - 04:10 AM UTC
Hi Joel,

Quoted Text

The roundels on the top of the wing have the black walkways going over them. I've seen them both over and not over on models. Someone posted on another build that the official painting procedures stipulates that nothing is painted on top of the roundels. Is this right or wrong? Just curious, but it's been nagging me.

Look a little closer it is the trench like panel lines that are giving the impression that the walkway lines are going over the roundels, but they are not, as they shouldn't Also note that the starboard lines don't turn across the cord, as the pilot boarded on the port side, but they do turn forward at the outer end, on both wings; not all aircraft had this but it was in the drawings. Also note that the roundels don't encroach on to the moving flying surfaces, so the space between the wing leading edge and the aileron hinge line dictate the size of the roundel (sort of) Spitfire is 56", Hurricane is 49", Typhoon is 50" as is the Mosquito
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, January 10, 2014 - 05:04 AM UTC
Mal, 1/72 scale is really hard to see all this stuff. Now I know why you graduated to 1/32 scale. Even 1/48 is starting to get too small for me.

Using the picture of the Spit on top of the book, the right roundel looks like the Walkway line goes across it, but not on the left one. I'm sure it looks completely different in person.

Joel
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Friday, January 10, 2014 - 02:15 PM UTC
Not too shabby at all mal . Turned out better than what I have on the bench now . Italeri Mk . VB 1/72 scale . One the ended up back in the stash a few years ago and just recently found it's way back on the bench waiting for the final camo shade . Would be quite the chore to fill all those panel lines with rod just re-scribe the surface , not something I would be willing to do . Good call on not overdoing the panel lines .

Terri

Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, January 10, 2014 - 07:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Mal, 1/72 scale is really hard to see all this stuff. Now I know why you graduated to 1/32 scale. Even 1/48 is starting to get too small for me.

Using the picture of the Spit on top of the book, the right roundel looks like the Walkway line goes across it, but not on the left one. I'm sure it looks completely different in person.

Joel

Well I moved to 1/32 because of all the excellent stuff that was being produced and because Gaston thinks that it is the scale of the devil And, yes, my eye sight isn't what it was but I enjoyed this foray into 1/72 scale and I do have a few more 1/72 kits on the go. I have also realised that they are excellent canvasses to try out camo masks on, rather than on 1/48 or 1/32 scale kits, as it save a massive amount of material in the trial stages
Yes the panel line on the right looks different to the one on the right, over the roundels, but that is just a trick of the light

Hi Terri,
Thanks I look forward to seeing your MkV, as we all know, "you just can't have too many Spitfires" I would never bother to fill in panel lines and re-scribe, life is far to short, I prefer to enjoy this hobby
 _GOTOTOP