_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Cobra company
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Monday, November 25, 2013 - 10:56 PM UTC
Does anyone have experience with Cobra Company?

I wanted to buy their 1/48 pave low set for the CH-53 (now that the Revell ch-53 is released again) but can't because of their payment and delivery conditions:

Visa and Mastercard only for Domestic USA and Canada.

International credit card only for orders over $125.00, less than $125.00 only payment with Western Union or Moneygram cash transfer services.

No Paypal.

Does that not seem a bit medieval?

Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
AeroScale: 1,351 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2013 - 12:55 AM UTC
Drab, I'm with you on this as I've looked at their items and want to get some items but no where near $125 worth.
tinbanger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,507 posts
AeroScale: 1,814 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2013 - 03:25 AM UTC
It's 2013, no Paypal? me no Buypal
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2013 - 03:55 AM UTC
The 125 dollar threshold could be installed to force people into organising "group orders" and thus lower the number of clients (and administration costs) Cobra has to deal with.

I wonder how many clients they scared away like this?

It is a pity though, they seem to have a few very interestign subjects. Is anybody aware if they have retailers in Europe?

Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2013 - 04:29 AM UTC
Cobra Company is a one-man operation, run in his spare time. This is a true "garage company". I'm not aware that he has any distributors at all. He used to sell to hobby shops in the distant past, but hasn't been doing that for at least a decade. His payment policies are the result of having lost money over bad cheques in the past. Yes, it's inconvenient.
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2013 - 06:17 AM UTC
You don't have to spend $125, as smaller orders can be paid for by Western Union or MoneyGram. Here, almost every drug store and discount store offers MoneyGram. It's a wireless instant money transfer to another store, not to the person. He would still have to go to a authorized shop to collect his funds. Money grams cost only a $1 or 2 for small transactions.

Joel
awrc
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 281 posts
AeroScale: 61 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2013 - 06:55 AM UTC
Don't blame Chris on this one, blame the people who've screwed him over so badly in the past that he has to put these sort of measures in place. The cost of US postage to the rest of the world probably figures in too - there's a lot of US places that no longer even ship outside the US because it's become so expensive.

I understand the Paypal thing too - they take a relatively big cut, larger than most credit card fees. Mix that in with Paypal's policies being very strongly skewed towards buyer protection, and I quite understand a company that's been hit by fraud in the past not wanting to take it. I'm quite sure Chris'd consider it if people would accept *all* packages being sent via registered mail, but that'd probably hit him harder than not taking Paypal does.
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2013 - 08:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Don't blame Chris on this one, blame the people who've screwed him over so badly in the past that he has to put these sort of measures in place. The cost of US postage to the rest of the world probably figures in too - there's a lot of US places that no longer even ship outside the US because it's become so expensive.

I understand the Paypal thing too - they take a relatively big cut, larger than most credit card fees. Mix that in with Paypal's policies being very strongly skewed towards buyer protection, and I quite understand a company that's been hit by fraud in the past not wanting to take it. I'm quite sure Chris'd consider it if people would accept *all* packages being sent via registered mail, but that'd probably hit him harder than not taking Paypal does.

I understand but this goes both ways. There are plenty of reports of poor buyers being screwed by renegate companies as well.

Even if I understand the frustrations of a company about untrustworthy consumers all to well, I think that a policy whereby trade becomes impossible is not a good solution as it makes the company itself redundant.

There may be better solutions like adding the paypal costs to the price of the product, or add it as an extra element to the handling and shipping costs. Shipping could happen, as soon as payment received eliminating buyers who never pay what they bought ...

But of course, this person, as owner of his company, is free to determine himself what his conditions are, i don't have to try teaching him any lessons.

Just frustrating that I can't get those CH-53 parts
Caerbannog
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 8 posts
AeroScale: 8 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2013 - 11:38 PM UTC
I only know of one store which at least has CobraCompany stuff in their range:
http://www.aero-spezial-modellbauversand.de
It is a German store and they do not have the parts you seek, but I am sure they will order it for you.

Good Luck,
Rene

drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2013 - 12:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It is a German store and they do not have the parts you seek, but I am sure they will order it for you.

Good Luck,
Rene

Thanks a million, I have sent them an email

;-)
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 02:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Good Luck,
Rene

Thanks a million, I have sent them an email

;-)

Well, forget about that company

Four times I entered questions in their website over a two months period and no reply
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 05:56 AM UTC
Well, I asked Volkhard and got an instant reply.

He does no longer do business with CC because CC does not want to...

Greets

Steffen
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 08:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Well, I asked Volkhard and got an instant reply.

He does no longer do business with CC because CC does not want to...

Greets

Steffen

Thanks Steffen,

That is very welcome information although not very positive;

Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 10:31 PM UTC
I know how you feel as I always wanted their H-60J Jayhawk conversion set in 1/48th and always faniced doing a MH-53 Pavelow (but I couldn't find a kit at the time) but the international ordeing put me off as well.

Of course this is a mute point for me now as I have the Kinetic Jayhawk kit instead now.

Another option could be to chat up one of our members on the other side of the pond and see if they could get it a nd ship to you assmuing you cover any costs, but that could also be costly in postage.
M-123driver
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 24 posts
AeroScale: 4 posts
Posted: Monday, February 03, 2014 - 08:22 PM UTC
I just placed an order 1/27/14 for #72007 11 F7F-3N Tigercat Night Fighter Conversion and Cockpit Set for $20.00 + $8.50 postage for priority mail. I received a personal e-mail from Chris the next morning advising my order will be sent out ASAP. I will let you know as soon as I receive it.

alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 12:48 AM UTC
Thanks Frank but the problem only exists outside the US ..
 _GOTOTOP