_GOTOBOTTOM
Modern (1975-today)
Discuss the modern aircraft age from 1975 thru today.
Hasegawa MV-22 Review Build/Blog
Herchealer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 1,523 posts
AeroScale: 175 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2013 - 04:36 AM UTC
Hello All,
This will be the official build blog for Hasegawa's new 1/72 MV-22 Osprey. For an excellent unboxing and sprue review please visit Jim's thread here.

Jim's review

This will hopefully be an in-depth build blog with as much reference as I can muster to find for the build.

I thought it might be interesting to put in a nice size comparison so that we can see the actual size of the MV-22 in relation to some other Helo's... I am using the Hasegawa SH-60B, Fujimi MK-41 and Italeri MH-53E to compare sizes.

As you can see in the photo the MV-22 is roughly the same size as the MK-41, however it has almost the same cargo space as the MH-53E. I will tell you this though, the cargo compartment height is only 66" at it's highest point!

We will start with step 1

This step has us jump right in and assemble the 2 fusalage halves, cockpit and wheel wells.

The cockpit is pretty devoid of detail, but hopefully this will suffice do to the scale. There is no detail for the instruments. Instrument detail is provided in the form of a decal.

Also of note is the fact that the landing gear wheel wells are only represented as a box's. I feel this will be ok for this scale as not much will be seen anyway once it is all assembled.

Color callout for the interior is FS36231, Dark Gull Grey, Which is what I will be using...

There is also NO cargo compartment detail what so ever, so this will be an all doors closed build.

Here is a Pic of the actual Cargo compartment. As you can see it is VERY busy

Well this was just a brief intro to get the ball rolling. Hopefully I will be completing step one this evening as it does not entail much. A little sanding, paint and glue is all I need. During the dry fit of the fuselage halves the fit seems to be very good will very little if any filler being required.

MORE to follow soon!!!

Feel free to ask any questions on the MV/CV-22 that you might have. If I don't know the answer I can most likely find it out...

J

RedwingNev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 911 posts
AeroScale: 415 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2013 - 07:16 AM UTC
Will be following this with intrest - I've built one of the Italeri Ospreys, and got a couple more in the stash. It has such great Whiff potential, I plan a whole line-up of Japanese birds...

Herchealer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 1,523 posts
AeroScale: 175 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2013 - 03:43 AM UTC
Here we go with installment #2. I managed to finish step one last night. During my dry fitting i realized that the whole cockpit could be installed at any time, so I decided to save that until a later stage. Fit of all the parts so far has been very good.

With Step one completed and the small amount of filler required drying, thought I might as well get a small start on Step 2.

This step covers cover the assembly of the main wing and inner swivel joint.

While dry fitting the center wing to the fuselage I found it to be a very nice fit, with a very slight gap in which should be there since it swivels.

Unfortunalty there is no provision to assemble The wing in the storage configuration, but with a few small cuts and tweeking this could be accomplished. the limiting factor will be the rotors which would require quite a bit of modification to reach the desired result.

Wish they would have included that as I think it looks mean

Well that is it for update #2, sorry not much going on, but planning for holidays and the Boys 6th Birthday is today!!!

Guess what one of the presents Dad got him was ??

Sorry couldn't resist! he has been asking to start building!!!

anyways until next time.....

Herky
sgtsauer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 2,605 posts
AeroScale: 91 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2013 - 04:26 AM UTC
Nice work so far! Will definitely follow this.
 _GOTOTOP