_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Ju52 "Dustbin" Ventral gun? Need advice
ebergerud
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 297 posts
AeroScale: 76 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 07, 2013 - 12:17 PM UTC
Having a good time building Revell's 1/48 Ju-52: a very good kit indeed. Am stuck on something though. The instructions call for the removal of a panel on the bottom of the fuselage for the "military version" of the kit (it also comes as a LW ambulance, but not a civilian version) and the insertion of a "dust bin" which appears to be some kind of ventral defensive gun position. It's a big part - the size of a thumb nail. Trouble is, barring this one illustration in the instructions, there isn't any other diagram in the instructions that shows the existence of the "dustbin" extended or otherwise. I've got a book on the plane written by a former Junkers engineer and he doesn't mention it. I can't find a clear photo of anything like it online or in my books. This is a sweet kit and there are some fine builds online, but for some reason the undersides of aircraft don't get much attention, so I can't find anything there either. I know the JU52 spent a short period prewar as a bomber. I wonder if this platform is specific to that variation. If so, we can skip the thing because I want to do a transport doing duty during a Russian winter. But if I'm missing something obvious - not a first - I'd like a heads up. Any ideas?

Eric
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 07, 2013 - 12:58 PM UTC
The dustbin was only used for the bomber. Since you're doing the transport version you can safely ignore it.

But if you're really interested in it, There are some good drawings in this thread and some more good building here. Iain's build also has some good pictures of the dustbin and its environs. (Both of these are being built as Spanish Civil War bombers.)
ebergerud
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 297 posts
AeroScale: 76 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 07, 2013 - 07:14 PM UTC
I got a similar clarification on Finescale - nice to know I guessed right for once. My kit also has spare spats so it could have been made into a bomber, although there's no clue on the instructions that it can be done. Nor are there parts for an interior that would suit a civil airliner that would also accompany spats. Revell must have had several renditions of this model out at one time or another. Perhaps the bomber option is offered along with one of the two civil versions I've seen. Hard to get too picky - this has got to be the best model per dollar I've ever worked on.

But I'll know exactly where to come the next time I build my own 1/32 scale Vacuform bomber. Which may be a while. That's a little like some of the folk on Model Warship that scratch build 1/96 battleships - kind of redefines modeling. I'll tip my hat to my betters. (Some modelers must have very a lot of empty space. The Revell Ju52 is very large - can't imagine where I'd put one of those 1/32 B-17s out there now. Or a 1/200 scale Missouri. And it looks as though 1/32 is becoming the scale of choice for WWII fighters. I can justify, barely, buying more paints or a new airbrush - be hard to sell an ad-on room for the house.)
Eric
 _GOTOTOP