_GOTOBOTTOM
Modern (1975-today)
Discuss the modern aircraft age from 1975 thru today.
Tornado Models Anyone??
powerlogik
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 216 posts
AeroScale: 41 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 03:23 PM UTC
Hey all,
I'm just wondering if anyone can recomend a largish (1/48+) model of the tornado?? Preferably one with a good selection of aftermarket details available. I've almost completed the italeri Tornado (1/48) ECR tiger meet model and would love to build a better one. I know this aircraft isn't the most widely used out there so finding a "quality" model may be a challenge.

Thanks all for any help
RotorHead67
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,174 posts
AeroScale: 226 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 05:43 PM UTC
POWERLOGIK,
I've got the italeri as well. In 1/48 scale, you got several choice. Italeri make (3), Airfix (3), and Esci (2) I have a few of each. And IMHO, the arfix one is the better
of the lot. Now if you really wana build the ULTIMATE tornado, choose either the airfix or italeri kit and buy the Highflight detail set, and Neomega ejection seats. Your mouth will
drop when you see the Highflight set. , (2) 5x7 PE frets of brass ,resin details, and some
metal. EXSTENSIVE instructions ,well worth the money. they are all readily available to you. Good Luck. Have fun, and post it here. Tod
powerlogik
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 06:24 PM UTC
Excellent, thanks very much for the advice Tod. Those detail sets look awesome....i feel a little spending coming on.

Just need to find a way to sneak them past the misses
powerlogik
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 07:14 PM UTC
Ok.....here's where i'm at. I have gone ahead and ordered some great looking ejector seats but am having alot of problems finding the highflight detail set you mentioned. I expect to have to purchase internationally anyway but i haven't been able to find any highflight webpage. Basically this makes it a little tricky for me to make an order as i'm not sure who a good suplier is or the particular detail set in question. I'm looking to do a 1/48 airfix model next on which to detail. Any pointers on who (in the US or anywhere else) are good to deal with?? I've searched alot for any Australian stores supplying these sorts of detail sets and haven't had any luck. Thanks again for your help.
jimbrae
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
AeroScale: 291 posts
Posted: Friday, December 12, 2003 - 05:28 AM UTC
Where can you find the Highflight stuff? Jim
RotorHead67
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, December 12, 2003 - 05:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I got mine from GREAT MODELS.com
I have the Sea KIng set, the Tornado set, and the B-17 set ....all EXCELLENT
RotorHead67
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, December 12, 2003 - 10:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

BEEP BEEP BEEP
THIS JUST IN !!! DUH. !!
OF COURSE YOU CANT FIND IT. Todd got his wires crossed and had a BRAIN FART. !!!!
ITS NOT HIGHFLIGHT........IT"S FLIGHTPATH item # 48071
SORRY GUYS FOR the mix up. Flightpath makes the other sets I mentioned as well.
powerlogik
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, December 12, 2003 - 12:33 PM UTC
heehee....no problem at all. If anything you still opened my eyes to some great detail sets for models i have sitting on my shelf. Thanks for all your help.
RotorHead67
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, December 12, 2003 - 03:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

heehee....no problem at all. If anything you still opened my eyes to some great detail sets for models i have sitting on my shelf. Thanks for all your help.

The Flightpath kit I referanced ,has got to be seen to be believed. It is made for the Italeri kit, that you already built in tigerstripes. The IDS/ADV are the same plastic, just different weapons fit.
ANYWAYs the company is a UK based one so it's probably easier for you to get it than I.
when I ordered from Greatmodels it took 6 months to get it. I had forgotten about it long before I actually got it in the mail.
powerlogik
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, December 22, 2003 - 04:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Your mouth will
drop when you see the Highflight set

Just received delivery of theis flightpath set.....and yes i have had to pick my mouth up from the floor a few times now. This'll be the biggest project I've started to date so am going to wait until the new year to get an etch folding tool to do the job proper. Flightpath are also going to be releasing some great diorama sets too which are sure to be of the same standard.
powerlogik
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, December 22, 2003 - 05:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

when I ordered from Greatmodels it took 6 months to get it. I had forgotten about it long before I actually got it in the mail.

I ordered direct from flightpaths homepage... http://www.djparkins.clara.net/ and received delivery in 5 days. It'd probably work out a little cheaper too ordering direct with them there than through a dealer.
RotorHead67
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Posted: Monday, December 22, 2003 - 08:50 PM UTC
[/quote]

I ordered direct from flightpaths homepage... http://www.djparkins.clara.net/ and received delivery in 5 days. It'd probably work out a little cheaper too ordering direct with them there than through a dealer.[/quote]
Glad to hear you got the Flightpath set so quick. Sorry for the mix up. It's really SOMETHING in brass aint it? I went WOW, this is going to take some time, Lets put this away for now and dig out later. LOL. I think with this set ,some resin seats, some aftermarket decals,
YOU'LL HAVE a TORNADO winner.
BTW/FYI = There is a company that just released decals for the Harrier,Tornado,and Jaguar called "Operation Telic" I think its from Model Alliance. Its for OIF duty aircraft with lots of nose art. CHECK UM OUT. Tod
 _GOTOTOP