_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft: Tips & Techniques
Discussions on specific A/C building techniques.
Where To Start ?
armouredcharmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 670 posts
AeroScale: 175 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 14, 2013 - 03:04 AM UTC
Hi Gang,This might sound a bit silly but where do i start to scratchbuild a cockpit ?.
My dilemma is i have the old 1/32 Revell Mosquito which for those of you who know is virtually devoid of any detail.
Any pointers or tips would be welcome so i do`nt ruin a rare and classic kit.
I have even gone to the extreme of buying Revell`s 1/48 scale kit to help but where to start.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 14, 2013 - 03:19 AM UTC
I'd start with the basics. Are you going to replace the floor, or use the kit part? Once you know the space you're constrained to work within, then you can start putting in all the things you know belong there. Mark out where all the bulkheads, floors and shelves go on the fuselage sides and then you'll know where all the various boxes and things are supposed to go.
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Monday, December 16, 2013 - 04:10 AM UTC
Jessica gave you some basic & sound advice.

I'm not familiar with the kit, so exactly what to add vs what's already there, would be just a guess on my part. Besides buying the 1/48 scale kit, which is a novel idea but doesn't offer you more then what the manufacture decided to include, and whether or not it's accurate is another issue. Personally, I wouldn't have gone that route unless at some point I was going to build the kit.

I would strongly suggest you start to look into purchasing a book or two. Do several specifically worded Google searches, and start to collect detailed photographs of the cockpit. You will be surprised at just how much information is available for just the time spent looking. Be careful where you get your information from, just because the aircraft has been restored, doesn't mean that the correct colors and or parts were used. Flying versions often have modern radio and navigation equipment added. Just double check if it doesn't seem right or logical to you.

Take your time, enjoy the research aspect of the build. Post your work, as many Aeroscale members have viable information, and a vast knowledge base that can help you throughout your build.

Joel

armouredcharmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 670 posts
AeroScale: 175 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 24, 2013 - 07:31 AM UTC
Thanks Jessica and Joel,The idea of superdetailing the kit parts is a start and i`ve also bought Osprey`s modelling Masterclass book on building the Mosquito.
Although the book covers kits in 1/48 scale the pictures of what can be achieved are mind blowing.
Cheers again,Danny.
 _GOTOTOP