_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Anyone Built HobbyCraft L-4 Cub?
ebergerud
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 297 posts
AeroScale: 76 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 14, 2013 - 11:13 PM UTC
There's a Normandy Group Build on Finescale and I thought a Piper L4 would fit the topic well. I picked up a sealed Hobbycraft L-4 on eBay dirt cheap. I've only seen a couple of mentions on boards - some find it simple and adequate: one gent considered it one of the worst kits in history. I really wasn't interested in turning an L-4 into a major project - Bronco has a 1/35 out and reviews give it decent marks but it appears to be pretty complex and costly. (Minicraft has a L-21 and I've heard it's a good kit - but I think it was quite different from the earlier "grasshoppers" spotting for artillery at Normandy. Pity - I like MC.) Anyway, if the Hobbycraft is really a dog, it would be nice to know - that way I won't open it and can get most of my money back and get the Bronco. If the HC is only lacking in detail, I think a little scratch building could spruce things up. Any opinions?

Eric
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 15, 2013 - 06:58 AM UTC
The plastic is actually a J-3 civvy cub, which is OK, since many were pressed into service as L-4s. The tell is the windows; L-4s had a full greenhouse while the J-3 had rounded ends to the windows at the back seat and nothing in the roof.

It's a typical early Hobbycrap kit. The fit will be adequate and the fine details a bit clunky. If you've got the one with the clear plastic fuselage you'll need to do some careful masking inside before painting. You'll need to do the interior colour, then prime, then the exterior colours. You should probably seek out replacement decals because the hobbycrap decals of that era were uniformly horrible
 _GOTOTOP