_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Supermarine Walrus Mk.I
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 15, 2013 - 11:40 AM UTC
CF-GKA was used by Kenting Aviation as a survey and utility aircraft in Newfoundland and Labrador in the immediate post-war years. It ended its days as a houseboat after the engine went U/S. The kit was the 1/48 Smer (ex Merit) kit. It needed substantial interior work to supplement the kit supplied lack of detail and to convert it to the wooden-hulled Mk.I. I posted a build thread elseforum.

Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 15, 2013 - 02:18 PM UTC
Jessica,
I followed your link to your build blog on Britmodeller, and read all 7 pages. A most impressive build of a very old model. Your interior detailing of stringers/formers, a bulkhead and scratch built IP, is more then enough for the limited views offered through your scratch built greenhouse. The use of clear sheet works perfectly on flat surfaces. Simple, yet very effective.

Your extensive surface prep work really paid off as the yellow gloss finish on the wings look as though they were molded that way. Same for the fuselage that is now minus the heavy panel lines and rivets.

I'm always envious of modelers who can rig a bi-plane. You accomplished that with homemade turnbuckles, & fishing line. Quite impressive.

My only suggestion and question is why you didn't apply a pin wash to the help define and visually separate the flying surfaces from the wings and the tail?

A most impressive build.

Joel
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 15, 2013 - 02:55 PM UTC
I didn't do a wash mostly because I was rushed to finish before the deadline. Now that I have time I may come back and do something. If I do, it won't be a stark colour because the gaping trenches between the control surfaces and the wings will look ridiculous if I use black. I may try a shadowed yellow colour instead.
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Monday, December 16, 2013 - 02:17 AM UTC
Jessica, I see. Since I've never had to deal with either issue, bright colors or way over sized demarcation lines, a simple dark pin wash always worked. Most of the time it was black, but I've used dark gray as well. Yellow/Brown should work. Try letting it set up some, then a damp Q-tip lightly run alone the line will remove the wash closest to the surface.

Joel
 _GOTOTOP