_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Proper Uniforms for WWII Kiwi Pilots
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2013 - 09:08 AM UTC
Is any of this getup proper for Kiwi pilot during WWII in the Pacific?

I'm doing a NZAF Corsair for the FROG campaign and want to be close to right when I do this. Any hints on the proper colors< expically the uniform pants?
DaGreatQueeg
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Napier, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,049 posts
AeroScale: 41 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2013 - 09:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm doing a NZAF Corsair for the FROG campaign and want to be close to right when I do this. Any hints on the proper colors< expically the uniform pants?

Theres a picture on page 29 of RNZAf Military Wings which shows a squadron group photo (all in flying gear) posed in front of a Corsair at Ardmour in 1944.

They're wearing a mix of British blue battledress and US Pacific tan/khaki flight gear ( Navy or Marine). So you should be fine with the gear you showed ..... no fleece lined flight jackets in sight though, way too hot here in NZ let alone on Pacific deployment for those.

I'm sure others can be more help though.

cheers
Brent
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2013 - 09:41 AM UTC
Thanks, my Kiwi resources are rather thin, so I wasn't sure.

I was thinking that fleece lined coats weren't quite right for Sea level in the South Pacific, but at 20,000 feet, it's kinda cold out there. I'm guessing there was a large radial heater in front of the pilot in that case....
DaGreatQueeg
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Napier, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,049 posts
AeroScale: 41 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2013 - 09:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks, my Kiwi resources are rather thin, so I wasn't sure.

I was thinking that fleece lined coats weren't quite right for Sea level in the South Pacific, but at 20,000 feet, it's kinda cold out there. I'm guessing there was a large radial heater in front of the pilot in that case....

Yeah the Japanese dudes had flames to worry about so they didn't need fleece jacket much either

I guess most pacific combat was low to medium level (yeah still cold at 10.000) and they are wearing battledress plus mae-wests etc ..... look fwd to seeing your build!

cheers
Brent
 _GOTOTOP