_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Horten Go 229
FAUST
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
AeroScale: 190 posts
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2013 - 10:40 AM UTC
Ola Guys and gals

I'm having another go at a WW2 aircraft and it is my last project of this year. I started 2013 with an aircraft and I end it with an aircraft as well. My pick this time was Revell's 1:72 Horten Go 229. Which to my surprise was quite a nice kit. Lots of nice details both on the exterior as in the interior. It will not be finished this year as I don't see where I will fit in painting this year but for a weekends work it is not bad I think.

Ok here are the pics of my work so far sadly no pics of the built stage but it was OOTB and fairly simple

Next up the dreaded Future, decalling and weathering fase
AKA the fase where everything usually goes wrong.

with friendly greetz

Robert Blokker
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2013 - 12:46 PM UTC
Robert, Really quite a nice build.

If you can pre-shade, and air brush to achieve those results, why on earth is using Future such an issue? Air brush straight out of the bottle @ 12-15psi. Apply light coats to build up the gloss. Let dry, and decal. Then a few more coats of Future to seal the decals.

Keep the weathering simple with just a few earth tone washes. Then a couple of coats of flat, and you're home free.

Joel
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2013 - 01:07 PM UTC
Robert, your Gotha 229 looks great!! I thought I would share a couple of photos of the same kit I built a couple of years ago. It is as you said, a good kit indeed! Looking forward to seeing yours completed. Russell

thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2013 - 02:31 PM UTC
Off to a well , fast past with this one . Camo turned out great . For a Revell kit it's got some nice detail . Is this new tooling , or is this from the early 90's ?

Terri
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2013 - 03:45 PM UTC
Robert,

Really turning out well - my compliments! And your embedded descriptions - first class!
FAUST
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2013 - 10:19 PM UTC
Ola Everybody

Thanks a lot for the compliments and kind words. Really appreciated.

@ Joel
Well to be honest... I never sprayed Future through my AB because I don't know what to clean it with afterwards. So I have always applied it with brush. But as soon as I have done that it starts to attract pretty much every Dustparticle and hair in the house.I think Airbrushing Future may well be a solution to solving one step of the disaster stage but what do you clean your AB with? Water? Thinner of some sort?
Regarding the matt coat as the last step I have not found yet a good acrylic matt lacquer that I can Airbrush but I always thought German WW2 aircraft were always slightly shiny... Not based on any real knowledge but I recall seeing a lot of pictures of aircraft that had a gloss of sorts.

@ Russel
Thanks a lot. Very good result on your Go 229. If mine comes out half as good I am a happy man.

@ Terri
I have no clue of it is a new tooling as I don't know the history of this particular kit. The inside of the wing said 2004 as year of make.

@ Frederick
Thanks a lot for the compliments. And glad you like the descriptions.Had a bit of time left.
FAUST
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, January 02, 2014 - 10:51 PM UTC
Ola Guys and gals

Continuing the Horten Go 229 in 2014 I have sprayed Future... Or Pledge through my AB. Worked pretty well. Cleaning was also not much of a problem. Allthough I decided to shoot some cups of Ammonia through it afterwards. And then It was time for pinwashes and decals. The finish line comes in sight. Only need to decal the bottom and hit it with some matt lacquer. And then it is done.

With friendly greetz

Robert
SpeedyJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bangkok, Thailand / ไทย
KitMaker: 1,617 posts
AeroScale: 212 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 02, 2014 - 11:27 PM UTC
One cool plane this is.
Seen some great video's on Youtube about the history. Started as a Non prop machine during the interbellum.
Great build

Regards,

Robert Jan
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Friday, January 03, 2014 - 04:40 AM UTC
Robert, Outstanding. Your Go229 looks fantastic. Weathering has what I call that "used but not abused" look. As for cleaning Future, anything with ammonia works just fine. I use any old window cleaner with ammonia. Actually, I borrow my wife's bottle when needed. Afterwards I just rinse in warm tap water, or Alcohol. Good to go.

Joel
FAUST
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, January 03, 2014 - 02:22 PM UTC
@Robert Jan
I agree with you it really is a nice looking aircraft. And it absolutely had n interesting history. The Horten brothers really were advanced designers for their time.

@Joel
thanks for the compliments I kept the weathering to a minimum. it looked good like this. and I have not yet gone round buying some window cleaner but since my wife had the sniffles I could clean my ab with ammonia. she did not smell it.
FAUST
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 09:49 AM UTC
Ola Guys

Well thanks to all the help I received from you guys and gals about Airbrushing Future and cleaning the AB afterwards I can declare this built finished. All I did after decalling and another layer of future was hit it with some matt lacquer and the end result can be seen below. It was the first aircraft built I did in which nothing went wrong and from start to finish this 1:72 Revell Horten Go 229 was an absolute joy to built.

With friendly greetz

Robert Blokker
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 01:19 PM UTC
Superb work Robert, just wonderful!! Russell
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 01:42 PM UTC
Robert , wonderful job done on this build Looking forward to your next bird

Terri
guitarlute101
_VISITCOMMUNITY
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,121 posts
AeroScale: 1,063 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 02:46 PM UTC

Very nice! And 1/72 to boot!!

Mark
FAUST
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, January 06, 2014 - 01:20 AM UTC
Ola People

Thanks everybody for the compliments and kind words. Really appreciated. .

@ Terri
The next bird will probably be an ME262. since I can start that one pretty much right away. I also have a Do 17Z but it has raised panellines which need to be rescribed. If I am going to spend that much time I think I'm also am going to buy some AM stuff for it to pimp it even more.
Rotebaron
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jalisco, Mexico
KitMaker: 182 posts
AeroScale: 179 posts
Posted: Monday, January 06, 2014 - 05:11 PM UTC
Here you are!!!! COOOOL!!!! I saw your model in Face. And one more time, nice work.
FAUST
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, January 09, 2014 - 02:01 AM UTC
Ola Alfredo

Thanks for the compliments and cool to hear you saw it on Facebook as well.
 _GOTOTOP