_GOTOBOTTOM
Pre-Flight Check
Constructive critique of your finished or in-progress photos.
Gulf War Jaguar
brandydoguk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,495 posts
AeroScale: 643 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2003 - 07:10 AM UTC
Here's a picture of my in progress 1/72 Jaguar GR1a in Gulf War colours. The painting and basic weahering is done, just the tryes to drybrush with grey and then addition of the under/overwing stores and engine jetpipes and a couple more bits and pieces. The canopy will be glued open. Many thanks to Tomcat14 for kindly sending me the decals. All coments welcome.
PvtParts
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,876 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2003 - 09:41 AM UTC
Im not an Wing builder..To my eyes it looks great!
RotorHead67
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,174 posts
AeroScale: 226 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2003 - 04:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Here's a picture of my in progress 1/72 Jaguar GR1a in Gulf War colours. The painting and basic weahering is done, just the tryes to drybrush with grey and then addition of the under/overwing stores and engine jetpipes and a couple more bits and pieces. The canopy will be glued open. Many thanks to Tomcat14 for kindly sending me the decals. All coments welcome.

Not My scale( I'm a 1/4" guy) But LOVE the topic. Looks good so far. What color paint did you use? I want to build one in 1/48 as well. DONT forget to add one part RAF Tornado .LOL
Major_Goose
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 6,871 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2003 - 06:32 PM UTC
From as much as the picture can show , i see a nice work , beautiful painting and showing off the panel lines !!! way to go buddy
brandydoguk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2003 - 11:50 PM UTC
Thanks for the compliments guys.

Quoted Text

What color paint did you use? I want to build one in 1/48 as well.

I used humbrol matt250. To give the effect of paint fading under hot sun I coated the whole thing with grey auto primer. When dry I sprayed the kit from above with white auto primer. Then by misting on the humbrol the upper surfaces have a slightly lighter tone than the sides and underneath.

Quoted Text

showing off the panel lines

I simply drew in the panel lines with a pencil after the base coat was dry. With recessed panel lines it is easy as long as I keep the point of the pencil sharp. Not really how the experts do it but it seems to work for me.
MLD
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
AeroScale: 419 posts
Posted: Monday, December 15, 2003 - 12:08 AM UTC
Great work!

How did you mask the canopy? It looks like you got the inner frame/weather seal done in a lighter color.

Mike
brandydoguk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, December 15, 2003 - 03:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

How did you mask the canopy? It looks like you got the inner frame/weather seal done in a lighter color.

I masked the edges with thin strips of masking tape. Then I filled in the rest with humbrol Maskol. I misted on the humbrol250 and when dry I lightened the paint and misted some more on. It could be the slight variation in colour that you are seeing.
I had a real problem with the pic I took, my camera didn't seem able to focus properly, I've not had this problem before so it could just be the light colour of the kit against a light background. It took 7 or 8 goes before it took one that was even half decent.
RotorHead67
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,174 posts
AeroScale: 226 posts
Posted: Monday, December 15, 2003 - 03:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for the compliments guys.

Quoted Text

What color paint did you use? I want to build one in 1/48 as well.

I used humbrol matt250. To give the effect of paint fading under hot sun I coated the whole thing with grey auto primer. When dry I sprayed the kit from above with white auto primer. Then by misting on the humbrol the upper surfaces have a slightly lighter tone than the sides and underneath.

AHH Good Old Humbrol's.. Well its a little harder to get Humbrols here in my area. I'll have to use my paint cross/ref and pick some modelmaster types. I like the things you can do w/
engraved panel lines, when it comes to weathering and detail painting. (much easier)
It has come along well. cant wait for mine in the larger scale. There's lots of 'FLASHY"
nose art decals available for Gulf war aircraft.

Quoted Text

showing off the panel lines

I simply drew in the panel lines with a pencil after the base coat was dry. With recessed panel lines it is easy as long as I keep the point of the pencil sharp. Not really how the experts do it but it seems to work for me.

uscusn
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 86 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 06:41 PM UTC

Which kit is this one? The Italeri or the Hasegawa? I have completed 2 myself of the GR1. Both in Gulf War colors (Desert Pink). Built one ea of the Hasegawa and the Italeri.
I used ExtraColour Desert Pink for each one. Nice job, would like to see it through, so send more images.

Chuck
Fly Navy
Venom
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alessandria, Italy
KitMaker: 720 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 07:06 PM UTC
I'm not expert about airplane, but for me it's very nice!!!
brandydoguk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 11:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Which kit is this one? The Italeri or the Hasegawa?

It is by Tamiya but I am told it is the Italeri kit reboxed. It needed a LOT of filler around where the wing joins the fuselage, the engine intakes, and where the front fuselage section joint is.

I have the Hasegawa 1/72 and Airfix 1/48 jaguar in my pile of kits waiting to be assaulted, I understand they are really nice kits.
There is something about the jaguar, especially with the overwing missile rails, that looks really cool.
 _GOTOTOP