_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Exactly What is a Contributor
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Friday, January 03, 2014 - 02:39 AM UTC
Being an official contributor since I received that metal next to my avatar, I'm assuming it was for the feature article that Jessica did on my Dauntless build. The question that I have is why wouldn't any of my other build blogs have qualified for that status, or extended my contributor time frame from the completion of that build blog?

Is there a list of what does qualify one as a contributor?

Joel
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Friday, January 03, 2014 - 02:54 AM UTC
You need to have submitted something to the Editors for publishing, whether it's news, a feature or a review. It's getting something published on the front page under your byline which makes you become a contributor.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, January 03, 2014 - 03:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You need to have submitted something to the Editors for publishing, whether it's news, a feature or a review. It's getting something published on the front page under your byline which makes you become a contributor.

Jessica, thank you for that explanation. So any build blogs would have to summarized into a feature build article. I'm planning on doing two reviews, and will use the forms supplied that I saw in the review forum.

Does each published article auto extend your contributors status to another full year, or does the current one have to run out before you can qualify for another year? I know is sounds stupid, but I'm old & Slow.

Again, thanks for clearing up that issue for me.
Joel
JClapp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,265 posts
AeroScale: 1,715 posts
Posted: Friday, January 03, 2014 - 03:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

...but I'm old & Slow

you left out U...

love your work man!
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, January 03, 2014 - 03:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

...but I'm old & Slow

you left out U...

love your work man!

Jonathan, thanks for those kind words about my work, but anyone can do what I do. If you look close enough, you'll see plenty of errors and or short cuts.

Joel
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Friday, January 03, 2014 - 04:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

...but I'm old & Slow

you left out U...

love your work man!

Jonathan, thanks for those kind words about my work, but anyone can do what I do. If you look close enough, you'll see plenty of errors and or short cuts.

Joel

We all tend to see only mistakes in our own models, and marvels in the othr ones
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Friday, January 03, 2014 - 04:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

We all tend to see only mistakes in our own models, and marvels in the other ones

Verry true...

I may be slow, but I'm old and I make a lot of mistakes...
JClapp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,265 posts
AeroScale: 1,715 posts
Posted: Friday, January 03, 2014 - 04:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

We all tend to see only mistakes in our own models, and marvels in the othr ones

Ill quote this too.

Leadership isnt only about technique, but willingness to boldly go out in front, come what may.

Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, January 03, 2014 - 04:33 AM UTC
Johnathan, well said.

Drabslab, how true. How very true.

Mark, I'm right there with you buddy. I see more mistakes every time I look at my current build, and especially at past builds. What looked so good before, now looks just so so now. Then I think what if I had done this or that. Luckily, I'm old, and then I forget why I'm looking at these models, don't look any more, and go back to my present build.

Joel
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, January 03, 2014 - 05:05 AM UTC
One of the things this site needs is a "LIKE" button for ordinary posts... I think we'd have shared a few here.

Take care

FWIW this may be my 2,700th post here.....
Mcleod
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,028 posts
AeroScale: 939 posts
Posted: Friday, January 03, 2014 - 05:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

One of the things this site needs is a "LIKE" button for ordinary posts...

Then you'd have to put the red 'hate' or 'eject' button there too. And that's just not nice.
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, January 03, 2014 - 05:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Then you'd have to put the red 'hate' or 'eject' button there too

Not necessarily, What was that thing mom always said "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything"?

OTOH I have the art for the 'eject' button:
http://www.comptoir-aviation.com/0-Images/090529_poignee_ejection_handle_phantom.jpg
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Friday, January 03, 2014 - 12:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Does each published article auto extend your contributors status to another full year, or does the current one have to run out before you can qualify for another year? I know is sounds stupid, but I'm old & Slow.

I wasn't sure how to answer this so I asked. Staff_jim confirms that it's based off the latest article you had published so you've got a year counting from the date of your newest article. Whenever you publish a new article, the system starts counting again. Jim also mentions that some times it can take up to 24 hours for the system to reset itself so if your contributor status goes away and you think it shouldn't have, wait a day and check again.
Mcleod
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,028 posts
AeroScale: 939 posts
Posted: Friday, January 03, 2014 - 12:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

What was that thing mom always said "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything"?

Well, maybe where you come from. My mom said it a little bit harder, and I would have had to use that nice eject button you've shown.
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Friday, January 03, 2014 - 09:04 PM UTC
I sometimes contribute something to Aeroscale. I find it nothing but normal to provide some content in return for the information that I get here for free.

This way I never hit the "one year" limit. So, adding a feature every once so often will keep you on the "medal zone".
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 02:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I wasn't sure how to answer this so I asked. Staff_jim confirms that it's based off the latest article you had published so you've got a year counting from the date of your newest article. Whenever you publish a new article, the system starts counting again. Jim also mentions that some times it can take up to 24 hours for the system to reset itself so if your contributor status goes away and you think it shouldn't have, wait a day and check again.

Jess, thanks for clearing this up for me. This is another area where Aeroscale and staff are so much better then any other site I've ever been associated with.

Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 02:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I sometimes contribute something to Aeroscale. I find it nothing but normal to provide some content in return for the information that I get here for free.

This way I never hit the "one year" limit. So, adding a feature every once so often will keep you on the "medal zone".

Drabslab, I feel the same exact way. I want to contribute so that the site continues to grow. Besides, it's a lot of fun, and personally very rewarding.

Joel
 _GOTOTOP