Hosted by Rowan Baylis
This might be of interest...
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 04, 2014 - 08:37 AM UTC
http://www.npr.org/2014/01/03/259432775/bill-overstreet-famed-wwii-fighter-pilot-dies-at-92

This is the guy who flew under the Eiffel tower to get a German fighter!! Thought you all might like to read or listen to the story on the link above. Russell
GastonMarty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 595 posts
AeroScale: 507 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 04, 2014 - 09:22 AM UTC

Apparently the pilot logs were studied, and the story is completely fake.

If I remember well, the shooting pilot in question was flying on that day, or a day close to it (notice it is not him telling the story), but was nowhere near Paris, and made no claims of combat anywhere near that day. His few kills, or at least action reports, were very far away in time and place. There was no ground witnesses, or any kind of mass reaction in Paris.

The claim that under the Eiffel tower is "a lot of space" indicates these are not the words from a pilot, as is the casual mention of a half-hour dogfight, as if that was not very unusual...

A spectacular painting was done of this fictional scene, and posted here, so I looked up the veracity of it, and the consensus was that the story was not true...

Another incredibly detailed story, involving a P-51 pilot's encounter with Hartmann, ending with Hartmann waving at him, was fake as well. All the colours described for Hartmann's mount, as well as the location and time, were wrong.

It is not easy to pick out the fake stories, as they have a lot of seemingly correct technical detail, and often the only way of knowing for sure is to see if anyone checked actual reports. Too good a story is often the only clue...

Gaston
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 04, 2014 - 04:05 PM UTC
I don't know Gaston, I have done some research on the net, which I know you have to be cautious about; everything seems to support the claim of Bill Overstreet. Russell
 _GOTOTOP