Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Northrop XB-35 in 72 scale
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 06:34 PM UTC
I have done a cleaning job on the old XB-35 and thought I would take some photos of the old girl again.
Hope you all like it. I had problems with the finish and ended up sanding with fine sandpaper, the whole model down. As a result I lost some surface detail, but got a second chance at a finish; which, still didn't turn out as well I would of liked.
Oh well. Take a look and enjoy. Russell

The last time I showed this model, several years back I think, Rowan commented "what a beast"! LOL
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 07:41 PM UTC
I was less than thrilled by the decals on mine, and the intakes above the propeller shafts could fit better, but it's still quite impressive when it's finished. Sitting it beside a B-36 is illuminating.
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2014 - 02:47 AM UTC
Russell, The size is over whelming to say the least. The NMF looks good. and I just love those 8 bladed props.
Joel
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2014 - 05:03 AM UTC
Thanks Joel, yes, it is probably the largest model I have in my collection!! 1/72 scale is large enough, LOL. Jessica, would you like to share some photos of your build of this kit, I would be interested in seeing them. Thanks, Russell.

P.S. Joel, you probably know this already, but those are four bladed props, two sets on each engine mount! I believe that this aircraft was using the Wasp Major engine, which developed something around 4,000 hp, made by Pratt & Whitney too.
Each set of props counter rotated, to negate any torque effects and gave the XB-35 pretty good speed.
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2014 - 05:08 AM UTC
Guy was at build night last night working on one. Lots of filler going on small sinks, he'd already done the wing joins. Apparently they were very painful but he's already sanded and primed them, so I couldn't verify that he'd had 3" wide bands of filler on them....

Beast may be an understatement.
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2014 - 05:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Joel, yes, it is probably the largest model I have in my collection!! 1/72 scale is large enough, LOL. Jessica, would you like to share some photos of your build of this kit, I would be interested in seeing them. Thanks, Russell.

P.S. Joel, you probably know this already, but those are four bladed props, two sets on each engine mount! I believe that this aircraft was using the Wasp Major engine, which developed something around 4,000 hp, made by Pratt & Whitney too.
Each set of props counter rotated, to negate any torque effects and gave the XB-35 pretty good speed.

Russell,
Yep, I knew that. Just looks impressive as one usually doesn't see an aircraft with double screws, yet alone 4 pairs of them.

Joel
 _GOTOTOP