_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Helmut Wick's Bf 109E-4
greif8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 673 posts
AeroScale: 492 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 02:47 AM UTC
Hi guys, I just finished a simple diorama featuring Eduard's Bf 109E-4. The scene is set sometime in early to mid-November 1940 and depicts Major Helmut Wick describing an aerial combat to another pilot right after landing. The figures come from two separate sources; Wick is sold by Model Design Construction and the other pilot is an Ultracast figure that can be purchased from several sources. Both figures are resin.

Construction went fairly smoothly, the only real problem area being the fit of the cowling which was not surprising considering the kit is designed to showoff the engine with the cowling and other panels removed. I painted the kit using a combination of JPS Colors, Tamiya and Lifecolor acrylics. All painting was done with an airbrush, with the exception of some detail painting and the RLM71 mottling, which was done with the blunt end of a paint brush. According to my sources, the mottling was applied the same way on the actual plane. I painted the model to resemble Wick's aircraft as it appeared after he was promoted to Geschwader Kommodore of JG2. Weathering was done with a combination of Tamiya weathering pastels, different AK Interactive weathering media and a graphite and silver pencil/pen. My goal was to make the aircraft appear a bit battle worn without making it appear ready for the scrape yard. I did chicken out on mottling the rudder as the original photos showed what appeared to be a bad reaction to the yellow paint; and I did not want to chance a disaster. The only aftermarket item is the seatbelt by HGW; these are very nice and look great. I stuck with a simple base as, again, all the photos I saw showed the aircraft on an open field - not surprising considering where JG2 operated out of during The Battle of Britain.

Overall, I am pretty satisfied with the build; though, as always, there is room for improvement.

Enjoy the photos,
Ernest

Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 02:59 AM UTC
Ernest,
Very impressive build and presentation. The mottling came out great. I noticed that your various panel lines are highlighted with a slightly darker color then the surface color of that panel. I must say it's very well done, and looks realistic. Were they done with pin washes or with various shades of colored artist pencils?
Joel
greif8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 03:11 AM UTC
Hi Joel, thank you the kind comments. I mixed a couple of different AK Interactive washes to get a "brownish" color and then used the pin wash technique to darken the panel lines.

Sincerely,
Ernest
Antoon3103
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 224 posts
AeroScale: 146 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 05:36 AM UTC
Ernest,

U did a wonderfull job, both style and excecution are first class.
Aircraft looks very good, but your figures are world class in my eyes.

Congrats
Tony

P.S.
Is the 32th scale?
greif8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 06:52 AM UTC
Hi Tony, thank you for the kind words. The kit and figures are 1/32 scale.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 08:34 AM UTC
Hi Ernest

Wonderful jobs on both the "Emil" and the figures! I'm in awe of the way you've painted their faces - they're so realistic!

All the best

Rowan
chrism
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 160 posts
AeroScale: 156 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 10:49 AM UTC
Nice job all around!!
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 03:09 PM UTC
Earnest,

Super work. You must be a figure painter as your faces are excellent!

I appreciate the restrained weathering - well done.
greif8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 06:40 PM UTC
Hi Rowan, thank you very much for the compliment - an honor coming from such a skilled modeller as yourself. The moon and stars aligned must have aligned for me with this build as everything turned out fairly good. Again, thank you for the kind words.

Sincerely,
Ernest

Quoted Text

Hi Ernest

Wonderful jobs on both the "Emil" and the figures! I'm in awe of the way you've painted their faces - they're so realistic!

All the best

Rowan

greif8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 06:41 PM UTC
Thank you Chris!

Ernest

Quoted Text

Nice job all around!!

greif8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 06:45 PM UTC
Thank you Frederick. Actually I am a bit of an "all-rounder" when it comes to modelling. I have put a lot of practice into my figure painting the last couple of years and I guess it is starting to payoff. Again, thank you for the compliment.

Sincerely,
Ernest

Quoted Text

Earnest,

Super work. You must be a figure painter as your faces are excellent!

I appreciate the restrained weathering - well done.

Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 08:03 PM UTC
Yes very nicely done Ernest and I too must congratulate you on the painting of the figures.

This is the scheme that I did Airfix's 1/24 scale 109 in, way back before I had actually got back into modelling. I was still serving in the Royal Engineers at the time and was posted back to Germany. The 109 and the 1/24 Spitfire sat on the parcel shelf of my car (Ford Corsair 2000E ) for the journey; the 109 had the swastika applied as I didn't know, at the time, that it was banned. I've always wondered what was thought at the boarder, but nothing was said I gave both the models, and a part built P-51 to the 10 year old son of a friend, when I was posted back to the UK This scheme always brings back lots of happy memories, of my second tour in Germany, so thanks for that as well
greif8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Monday, January 13, 2014 - 02:46 AM UTC
Thank you Mal, I looks like the figures have struck a chord with folks.

Sincerely,
Ernest

Quoted Text

Yes very nicely done Ernest and I too must congratulate you on the painting of the figures.

This is the scheme that I did Airfix's 1/24 scale 109 in, way back before I had actually got back into modelling. I was still serving in the Royal Engineers at the time and was posted back to Germany. The 109 and the 1/24 Spitfire sat on the parcel shelf of my car (Ford Corsair 2000E ) for the journey; the 109 had the swastika applied as I didn't know, at the time, that it was banned. I've always wondered what was thought at the boarder, but nothing was said I gave both the models, and a part built P-51 to the 10 year old son of a friend, when I was posted back to the UK This scheme always brings back lots of happy memories, of my second tour in Germany, so thanks for that as well

Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Monday, January 13, 2014 - 07:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Sincerely,
Ernest

Yes Ernest, possibly because many aircraft modellers can't paint figures well When I was building armour, sorry, targets, I realised that I would need to be able to paint figures as a tank without crew (unless battened down) looks sort of wrong? An aircraft doesn't; I have no idea why I think this but I do
greif8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Monday, January 13, 2014 - 11:57 PM UTC
Hi Mal, it took quite a few figures before I - somewhat - became comptetent in the art of painting them. I still have those that have to stripped and redone because they did not turn out well the first time. I think 1/32 and 1/35 scale figures to be the hardest to get the faces right. You are working with an area the size of a pea; but, unlike 1/48 scale figures the faces are large enough to really get into highlights and shadows. I use dark washes for the shadows of 1/48 scale figures, and you don't have to worry as much about painting the eyes - which are the single toughest thing to get right - due to the scale. I consider myself to be competent, but far from a master at figure painting, I still have lots of room for improvement. I agree with you the figures are almost a necessity for armor while the are not really required for aircraft.

Sincerely,
Ernest

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Sincerely,
Ernest

Yes Ernest, possibly because many aircraft modellers can't paint figures well When I was building armour, sorry, targets, I realised that I would need to be able to paint figures as a tank without crew (unless battened down) looks sort of wrong? An aircraft doesn't; I have no idea why I think this but I do

AirLedge
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Cork, Ireland
KitMaker: 292 posts
AeroScale: 265 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - 12:25 AM UTC
Hi Earnest,
The 109 is superb. The diorama and figures are just the icing on the cake! (the faces are very realistic)
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - 12:55 AM UTC
Wonderfully done !

Terri
Roxter
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Rigas, Latvia
KitMaker: 268 posts
AeroScale: 245 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - 03:11 AM UTC
Really great dio! Especially the figures
Totalize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 743 posts
AeroScale: 151 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - 05:47 AM UTC
Ernest,

A wonderful piece of work you did here. The camo on the 109 very well done. Looks like you hand painted the camo on the fueslage?

Your figure painting is absolutely top notch.

Well done.
Dave.
greif8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - 06:57 AM UTC
Thank you very much to Mike, Terry, Arseny and Dave for your very kind compliments. I know a couple of you at least, and probably all four, are excellent modellers yourselves, so your words means a lot.

Dave, I did paint the mottling with the blunt end of an old paint brush; which, according to my documents was how it was done in real life. I spent about an hour practicing on a piece of scrape plastic to get both the amount of paint needed on the brush and the technique right; but I still had sweat on my forehead as I put brush to model the first few times!

Ernest
 _GOTOTOP