_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
help canopy antennae broken (stuka 87b)
McKeever
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 246 posts
AeroScale: 22 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 06:43 PM UTC
The other problem with my stuka project is that the canopy antenna broke(from which the wire runs to the tail). Aside from asking if someone has a spare (from the Hasegawa 1 48 Ju 87 b kit), I had the idea of cutting the kit part to its base, and fabricating the elongated portion from metal strip, rounding the edges with a file. ...
I wish someone made an aftermarket part from brass or white metal...
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 07:56 PM UTC
You could also make it out of Evergreen strip plastic. That's much easier to file to shape, and gluing it to the base is also simpler.
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2014 - 03:17 AM UTC
Why not just glue the broken antenna? When dry, sand, and repaint.
Joel
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2014 - 12:31 PM UTC
What Joel said ...or

If you are going to you metal strip . Use brass rod instead . Heat the brass up first and start sanding to shape with a coarse sanding file of stick . once you get the shape refine it with fine grades . The Fine sanding will polish the surface as well making painting easier . Cut off the excess from the bottom leaving enough for a pin . Drill a new hole and super glue in place .

Where was the break ? In the middle ...if so and if you have a pin vice drill two small holes for a pin . Use plastic cement you will get a better bond . Fill the crack line with Mr.surface or you can use paint . Sand this down and repeat if the crack is still visible . Repaint . If this is frame work on the canopy where the break is follow the same steps .

Terri
 _GOTOTOP