_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft: What If?
For those who like to build hypothetical or alternate history versions of planes.
1:48 Tamiya Republic F-84G Project
Bushioka
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 107 posts
AeroScale: 105 posts
Posted: Monday, January 13, 2014 - 05:47 PM UTC
Though I'd been planning on using it for the 1st Generation Jets campain in December, I just can't wait to get started on this project. I'll certainly find another kit to use for the campaign when it rolls around. So since I'm doing this project without any special purpose other than wanting to built it, how should I go about it? I'd like to make it kind of an in-progress semi-article about the kit and my odd alternate history motif going with it. Meaning I'd like to incorporate the work-in-progress pictures as part of the thread.

Should it go in the Cold War aircraft section since the plane itself is from the early part of that period? I ask because my plans are to turn it into a more 'What If?' kind of project, where it will have Luftwaffe markings (decals for an Fw. 190 purchased separately). I just want to make sure I'm putting this in the right place. Thanks for your help!
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Monday, January 13, 2014 - 06:10 PM UTC
It fits in "Cold War" so that's a comfortable place to put it. There's also a "What if" discussion group in this forum where it can also belong. The choice is up to you.

One of the options you have when you start a new topic is to check the little box which says "Build Log" (we call them Blogs for short). This puts a little gear beside the topic title to let our readers know someone is posting a build thread rather than just a discussion thread. We never have enough build logs going so please do feel free to do yours. I'll be very interested to see how it turns out.

I can move this thread over to Cold War if you'd like, or shift it into the "What if" group here and also make it into a Blog if you wish. Just let me know your choice
Bushioka
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
Posted: Monday, January 13, 2014 - 07:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It fits in "Cold War" so that's a comfortable place to put it. There's also a "What if" discussion group in this forum where it can also belong. The choice is up to you.

One of the options you have when you start a new topic is to check the little box which says "Build Log" (we call them Blogs for short). This puts a little gear beside the topic title to let our readers know someone is posting a build thread rather than just a discussion thread. We never have enough build logs going so please do feel free to do yours. I'll be very interested to see how it turns out.

I can move this thread over to Cold War if you'd like, or shift it into the "What if" group here and also make it into a Blog if you wish. Just let me know your choice

Great, a Blog sounds exactly like what I was thinking about for this project! Hopefully I can learn as much from other forum members as they can from my attempts to build this kit. If you'd be so kind as to move it over to the "What if" group, I would be very appreciative. That sounds like it's the best fit for this particular undertaking.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Monday, January 13, 2014 - 07:25 PM UTC
Okay, done
This thread is now your Blog in the "What if" discussion group here in this forum. Now we can sit and watch you do your magic
Bushioka
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - 01:43 AM UTC
First off, thanks to Jessie_C for her help in moving/recategorizing this thread. Much appreciated.

So welcome to my Blog for a very strange F-84 adaptation. I'll admit that this all started as a concept of 'you know, it might look really interesting if I did X' and blossomed from there. Anyway I have come up with a bit of backstory on the concept itself, which may be kind of implausible. But bear with me.

The basic idea is that the Germans win WWII, probably are in a Cold War scenario with the US/remnants of the Allies, etc. That allows for more advanced German jet aircraft with time to properly research & develop prototypes. So despite many German jets actually developed having swept wings, some still have straight wings depending on manufacturer. Enter the company that actually built the He 162, only this time they're designing the next generation of fighter for the Luftwaffe. Contrary to the more predatory designs submitted by Messerschmitt, et al this one looks more traditional. It also incorporates extra fuel tanks to create a long-range option for the victorious Luftwaffe. While not the main fighter of late-40s/early 50s Germany, it serves a niche role as long range fighter/bomber for the Luftwaffe.

At the moment a lot of things are still in the air. I've got a mockup proposal done, but at the moment only have a tentative name for this alt-history creation. So far I'm just referring to this project as the Heinkel He-300, though I am not certain that high of a number works for a fighter/bomber. The main colors I've planned out are inspired by a mix of late war green camo patterns and Battle of Britain type Gelb nose and tail. What I'm trying to do is give it a German feel while delving into the extremely hypothetical.

So for now I need some input. Firstly does the designation make sense? I used to be far more of an expert on Axis plane designations than I am now, so help would be great. Secondly I'm thinking it needs a nickname akin to the F-84's actual 'Thunderjet'. Thirdly, and the part that I'm most unsure of, what color scheme should I use for the pilot figure? I want it to fit with the historical Luftwaffe, since this would be roughly the same period in history. What colors would the flight suit/helmet be for our alternate timeline Luftwafffe pilot?

Also should I add markings to designate a Jg. or the specific aircraft? Where should they be applied if so? I'm not as familiar with aircraft post-WWII so again help would be great.

I should have some pictures of the kit itself within a couple days. It's a Tamiya kit, found on the discount rack at Uesaka Hobby Shop in my neighborhood for about $18 US. Not bad for a brand new 1/48 scale fighter if my thinking is correct. Thanks for reading!
Bushioka
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2014 - 01:34 AM UTC
So here at last are the first pictures of the kit! It's been about a year and a half since I've built any aircraft model, and longer since I've done one in my favorite scale (1:48). Safe to say that I'm excited about this one. So here's the box, still in nice condition though one side is faded from facing outward on the shelf it was stored on.

Though this kit was on the discount shelf at the shop, it's still brand new. I was pretty surprised to see all the pieces still in plastic bags. As I said, this was all mine for around $18.

I'm used to World War II prop-engine crafts, and few of those have a nose mounted landing gear. Apart from the Me-262, my favorite Tamiya kit to date. This is another Tamiya 1:48 jet with a nose mounted landing gear, so maybe lightning will strike twice and this will become a favorite. It sure looks nice. Here are all the parts, including the decals I'm not using:

Part of the problem I've had with nose landing gears is that the kits I buy often won't have any way to balance the aircraft's weight so it sits properly in 'grounded' mode. This kit includes a round weight to ensure that's not going to be a problem. That's got me pretty jazzed about this kit already.

And the decals I'm using are originally for an Fw-190, but I think they're just the right size for this project.

I'll be getting started after payday on the 20th, since I need to get a couple more colors of paint for this bird. Unless I break down and buy 'em this weekend instead, since that builders' itch has got me. Stay tuned for more progress!
 _GOTOTOP