Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Bf 110 colour scheme
Snorri23
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 514 posts
AeroScale: 244 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 02:37 PM UTC
I am looking for some info on the colour scheme used for the invasion of Greece (Unternehmen Marita) Balkans campaign. In regards to the recognition colours used , development and where they were placed. The Bf 110 I was looking to represent was ZG 26. Thanks for your assistance.
JohnVasco
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 54 posts
AeroScale: 49 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 11:28 PM UTC
I presume you are talking about II./ZG 26...?

Do you not have any books covering that period?

By 'recognition colours' do you mean the theatre band around the fuselage, and other associated markings?

Tell me more and I can help you.
Snorri23
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 03:55 AM UTC
I may have some reference books kicking around though they are not specific enough. The one which I think would be of great assistance are out of print. I am trying to figure out where the yellow bands were placed and when. I understand that the theater bands did evolve and copy some of the Italian markings. Were the yellow bands only on the top of the wing, bottom or both? Rudder both sides? Was there a yellow fuselage band, if so where was it located? I got this bug in which I would like to build such a creature. Thanks for your assistance.
JohnVasco
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 05:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I may have some reference books kicking around though they are not specific enough. The one which I think would be of great assistance are out of print. I am trying to figure out where the yellow bands were placed and when. I understand that the theater bands did evolve and copy some of the Italian markings. Were the yellow bands only on the top of the wing, bottom or both? Rudder both sides? Was there a yellow fuselage band, if so where was it located? I got this bug in which I would like to build such a creature. Thanks for your assistance.

The following photos should help. But note that the markings are not consistent across the photos. Some have yellow painted noses, some not.

Photo 4: note yellow upper wingtips, and rudders.

Note that the yellow fuselage band is painted over the fuselage code.

Hope this helps.
Snorri23
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 06:18 AM UTC
Yes this does help, clarified a few things. Now I can tackle this projekt with some confidence.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 06:24 AM UTC
Hi John,

while we are at it. I want to do 2 110 from that theatre. I have a nice picture of one of them in Lw in Focus (Jabs' M8+IP) but I am still looking for Theodor Rossiwalls 3U + AN (as in eduards MTO boxing of their Bf 110). You know of a picture of that machine?

all the best

Steffen
Snorri23
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 07:00 AM UTC
Just taking a closer look some have both sides of the rudder painted some not. Early/late? I do understand that they followed bomber code placements.
JohnVasco
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2014 - 05:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi John,

while we are at it. I want to do 2 110 from that theatre. I have a nice picture of one of them in Lw in Focus (Jabs' M8+IP) but I am still looking for Theodor Rossiwalls 3U + AN (as in eduards MTO boxing of their Bf 110). You know of a picture of that machine?

all the best

Steffen

Steffen,

I've been through all that I've got, but I cannot find a photo of 3U+AN, sorry...
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2014 - 09:06 AM UTC
Thanks John!

I just thought to give it a try.

take care

Steffen
JohnVasco
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 10:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Just taking a closer look some have both sides of the rudder painted some not. Early/late? I do understand that they followed bomber code placements.

Trevor,
One thing I've learned in doing over 30 years of research into the Bf 110, is 'don't expect uniformity'! I fully expect that in the Balkans campaign in the Spring of 1941 some Bf 110s had rudders painted yellow, others not. Contrary to the belief that the Germans were efficient, and uniform in all that they undertook, the opposite is true, particularly with the change-over to newer variants or sub-variants, and with things to be done 'in the field'.

So my caveat is: 'Always go by what you see in the photograph!'
 _GOTOTOP