_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Sopwith Strutters
TrooperD
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 31 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 08:02 PM UTC
Have just bought the Roden 48th kit,but would like to build a Latvian a/c as used by that country during the 20's.Which countries supplied these a/c,Britain or France.Also,at a model show recently,someone mentioned to me that the undercarriage is a little suspect.Any info would be appreciated.TIA...Dave (:-)
MadMeex
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vaasa, Finland
KitMaker: 424 posts
AeroScale: 73 posts
Posted: Friday, December 19, 2003 - 02:41 PM UTC
TrooperD,

Looking through my copies of Windsock Datafiles on the Strutter it shows a single photo of a Latvian AC. It looks to be a British machine (but hey, I'm no expert) since I can't see the extra strut the French added. The caption states that this machine (shown without engine) was fitted with a Siemens-Halske 9 cylinder engine. It doesn't have a cowling, so I can't comment on what other mods the nose has.

The Latvian model also shows wire wheels on the undercarriage.

Hope this helps,
Mika
TrooperD
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 31 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, December 19, 2003 - 07:35 PM UTC
Thanks for that Mika,will now pop down to book store to buy W/S datafile.Am really looking forward to those wire wheels.Regards.....Dave
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 09:13 AM UTC
Greetings all;

Just resurrecting this old thread...digging up old bones. Here a USN Nieuport 28 and Sopwith 1 1/2 get put together and trued. Don'tcha just Love newly discovered images?

_GOTOTOP